Strike hits normal life in Chhattisgarh districtJune 24th, 2008 - 11:52 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, June 24 (IANS) Normal life was paralysed, shops closed and vehicles were off road Tuesday in Chhattisgarh’s worst insurgency-hit Dantewada district following a strike call by three political organisations. The daylong strike was called by the Communist Party of India (CPI), All India Adivasi Mahasabha and All India Students Federation to press their demands, including for arrest of four special police officers (SPOs) who allegedly raped two school girls June 15.
They also sought immediate removal of para-military troopers from school buildings where they have been temporarily put up by the state government.
The CPI members alleged that Maoist rebels are demolishing school buildings and tribal department-run boarding schools in the interiors of Dantewada as Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers have taken shelter there.
The CPI workers took to streets in support of the strike. No violence was reported from any part of Dantewada district, the nerve centre of Maoist insurgents since 1980.
- Ire over village head's slaying in Chhattisgarh mounts - Aug 13, 2011
- Chhattisgarh in spotlight, but for wrong reasons (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 30, 2010
- Congress seeks judicial probe in Dantewada killing - Aug 18, 2011
- Chhattisgarh on alert as Maoists mark anniversary - Sep 21, 2011
- Dantewada still burns, year after India's worst Maoist strike - Apr 05, 2011
- 'Disarming SPOs will hit Chhattisgarh's anti-Maoist drive' (Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- 'Disarming SPOs will hit Chhattisgarh's anti-Maoist drive' - Jul 07, 2011
- Mine blast injures CRPF men, Maoists raid CPI leader's house (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- 667 Maoist attacks killed 590 in Chhattisgarh: police - Mar 09, 2011
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Agnivesh attacked by protesters, two officials transferred - Mar 27, 2011
- Maoists blow up CRPF vehicle, kill trooper in Chhattisgarh - Aug 06, 2012
- CRPF kill 9 Maoists in Bastar gunfight, rebels strike back (Second Lead) - Nov 23, 2010
- Two Maoists, medicine supplier held in Chhattisgarh - Jan 20, 2011
- Supreme Court order will hit anti-Maoist drive: Chhattisgarh officers - Jul 05, 2011