Stressed? better be with your best friendSeptember 25th, 2011 - 1:37 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 25 (IANS) Spending time with your closest buddy during difficult times can be quite helpful, as a study conducted on children has found being in such company can reduce stress levels, Daily Mail reported.
“One of the interesting things about these findings is that it’s not just any friend - it’s the best friend,” said Ryan Adams, the study’s lead author and an assistant professor of paediatrics at the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Centre.
During the study, 100 children aged ten to 12 were asked to fill out a diary five times a day for four school days. They were asked to rate how they felt about what they’d experienced in the past 20 minutes.
They were also asked whether they’d been alone or with parents, siblings, a best friend, a boy or girl friend, classmates, strangers, teachers or some other person.
They had their saliva samples taken for measuring their stress hormone cortisol, a steroid hormone, produced by the adrenal gland and is released in response to stress.
Researchers found that the presence of a best friend, more than anyone else, buffered the physical effects of a negative experience, so the child produced less cortisol. But when no friend was around during stressful times, cortisol levels shot up.
Though this study was conducted on children, experts say its findings are likely to be applicable on people of adult age too.
- Friends mitigate effect of bad experiences - Jan 29, 2012
- Children exposed to violence suffer health problems: Study - Jul 04, 2012
- Why 'stress hormone' behaves in contradictory ways in kids - Feb 10, 2011
- Dogs reduce stress in autistic children: Study - Oct 20, 2010
- Casting vote causes stress hormone levels to shoot up - Jul 06, 2011
- Stress hormone, depression trigger obesity in girls - Feb 24, 2010
- Depression in mums ups stress hormones in babies - Dec 10, 2010
- Stress-free babies develop fewer allergies - Dec 14, 2011
- Dogs can reduce stress in autistic children - Oct 21, 2010
- Woman with rare hormonal disorder operated upon (with images) - Dec 27, 2011
- Stress can be good for immune system - Jun 22, 2012
- Depression signs in obese kids linked to stress hormone abnormalities - Jun 12, 2009
- Depression sparks obesity in girls - Feb 24, 2010
- High levels of stress hormone in recovering alcoholics 'raise relapse risk' - Sep 24, 2010
- Measure stress in hair to assess cardiac risk - Sep 03, 2010
Tags: adrenal gland, adult age, cincinnati children, classmates, daily mail, difficult times, girl friend, hospital medical, interesting things, medical centre, negative experience, paediatrics, ryan adams, s hospital, saliva samples, spending time, steroid hormone, stress hormone cortisol, stress levels, stressful times