Stray man-eater tiger shot in Uttar PradeshFebruary 8th, 2009 - 1:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 8 (IANS) A young tiger which was declared a man-eater has been shot in Uttar Pradesh’s Kumarganj area in Faizabad district — but it is yet not confirmed if it has died, an official said Sunday.
The tiger was shot near the Kamakhya Devi temple in Kumarganj area late Saturday evening, but it ran away into a nearby forest. A search was launched Sunday morning to determine if the animal had died or was still alive, the official said requesting anonymity.
The tiger had killed a villager in the area and has been hiding in Rudauli and Kumarganj forest ranges of Faizabad district. Forest officials have been trying to hunt it down after the animal was declared a man-eater.
The local residents who were in a state of fear due to the presence of the tiger in their area have been demanding that the authorities kill the animal.
The tiger had strayed out of its habitat in Pilibit district some three months ago.
A massive hunt was launched at first to capture the animal alive, but later on, a shoot-at-sight order was issued after it killed the villager.
- Man-eater strikes in Pilibhit again - Aug 11, 2010
- Tiger on prowl in Lucknow's neighbourhood - Jan 10, 2012
- Man-eater leopard trapped alive by wildlife enthusiast - Nov 18, 2011
- 'Man-killer' tiger to be tranquilised - Aug 28, 2010
- Raj Thackeray puts cash rewards to save tigers - Jun 01, 2012
- After tigress, now leopard terrorises Chhattisgarh residents - Oct 15, 2011
- Another stray tiger keeps Uttar Pradesh officials on tenterhooks - Feb 26, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh man-eater tiger falls to Hyderabad expert's bullets (Lead) - Feb 25, 2009
- Tiger kills man in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 27, 2010
- Of Dilli, spies, tiger hunts and Ramayana (IANS Books This Week) - Oct 14, 2010
- Three women die in forest fire - Mar 22, 2012
- Steps mooted to protect straying Ranthambore Park tigers - Mar 29, 2011
- 2009 sees alarming rise in tiger deaths in India - Feb 17, 2009
- Man-eater tiger killed in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 24, 2009
- Another human killed by big cat in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 02, 2010