Storms kill over 160 in southern USApril 28th, 2011 - 8:13 pm ICT by IANS
New York, April 28 (IANS) Severe storms that have been battering southern United States since last week have left over 160 people dead, officials said Thursday.
At least 128 people were killed in the southeastern state of Alabama, making it the hardest-hit state, followed by Mississippi, where 32 people died.
A tornado left a trail of destruction in Tuscaloosa - a city of 90,000 people in Alabama - Wednesday afternoon, which killed 15 people and injured over 100, Xinhua reported citing local daily Birmingham News.
The highest toll was in Franklin county in the northwest, where 18 people died, the Alabama Emergency Management Agency said.
US President Barack Obama has declared a state of emergency in Alabama, authorising the Federal Emergency Management Agency to coordinate immediate disaster relief efforts, the White House said in a statement.
- About 250 feared dead in southern US storms - Apr 29, 2011
- Storms leave nearly 300 as dead in southern US (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Tornadoes and severe storms in southern U.S. leave around 200 dead - Apr 28, 2011
- Tornados hit US' South & Midwest - Jan 23, 2012
- Obama visits area devastated by deadly tornados - Apr 30, 2011
- Heavy storm moving toward US East Coast leaves 17 dead - Apr 17, 2011
- Storms kill at least 47 across US - Apr 18, 2011
- Search for victims after deadly tornadoes in US - Mar 05, 2012
- US tornado toll reaches 38 - Mar 04, 2012
- Tornadoes sweep through south US, 17 dead - Apr 16, 2011
- 25 killed as tornadoes hit US - May 23, 2011
- Monster tornado kills 10, causes widespread damage in Mississippi and Louisiana - Apr 25, 2010
- 32 killed as tornadoes rip US (Third Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Tornado in US city kills 116 - May 24, 2011
- Large tornado causes widespread damage in western Mississippi - Apr 25, 2010
Tags: alabama emergency management agency, barack obama, birmingham news, disaster relief efforts, emergency management agency, federal emergency management, federal emergency management agency, franklin county, mississippi, northwest, severe storms, southeastern state, state of alabama, state of emergency, tornado, wednesday afternoon, white house, xinhua