Stop Indian military aid to Sri Lanka: PMKMarch 13th, 2008 - 7:30 pm ICT by admin
Chennai, March 13 (IANS) The PMK, an ally of Tamil Nadu’s ruling DMK, Thursday demanded a halt to all Indian military aid to Sri Lanka following the “genocide” of Tamil people in the island nation. “India should ensure this genocide stops, and halt all military aid to the Sinhalese chauvinist regime in Sri Lanka which has directed its entire strength in a barbaric manner against the Tamil race in the island,” Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK) founder S. Ramadoss said here at a meeting to express solidarity with the minority in the neighbouring country.
“The Lankan navy is mercilessly mowing down innocent Indian Tamil fishermen in the Palk Strait. To effectively combat this, our central government must reclaim the Kachchatheevu atoll without any delay,” Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi leader Thol Thirumavalavan said at the meeting.
The islet situated in the narrow expanse of water between India and Sri Lanka was ceded to Sri Lanka in the mid-1970s.
Addressing another function, Tamil Nadu’s Director General of Police P. Rajendiran said: “Everybody is talking about the increased activity of the (Liberation) Tigers (of Tamil Eelam) in Tamil Nadu. Anyone pointing them out to me would be welcome.”
“Everyone knows how many smuggling craft have been seized at sea by our Coast Guard. Further, our vigil on the shoreline has been considerably increased,” he added.
The LTTE has been fighting for a separate Tamil homeland since the late 1970s in northern Sri Lanka. Over 70,000 people have perished in the civil war so far. A ceasefire agreement with the LTTE in January 2002 was abrogated by the Sri Lankan regime in January this year.
- Indian MP refused entry into Sri Lanka - Feb 22, 2011
- VCK activists protest against killings of fishermen by Lankan Navy - Jul 12, 2010
- Tamil Nadu's regional party demands lifting of ban on LTTE - Jul 29, 2009
- Regional Tamil party stages protest against Lankan Government in Chennai - Oct 22, 2009
- All-party delegation to meet visiting Sri Lankan President Rajapaksa - Jun 07, 2010
- Sonia Gandhi to address election rally in Puducherry - Apr 05, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to visit poll-bound Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - Apr 04, 2011
- Karunanidhi to raise Sri Lankan Tamil issue with PM, Sonia Gandhi again - Jan 12, 2009
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- Tamil Nadu delegation leaves for Sri Lanka - Oct 10, 2009
- Tamil Nadu MPs to leave for Sri Lanka today - Oct 10, 2009
- Tamil Nadu's VCK asks Sonia Gandhi to press for Lanka cease-fire - Apr 08, 2009
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- Tamil activists demand speedy resettlement of refugees in Sri Lanka - Dec 14, 2009
- AIADMK, PMK now target Tamil Nadu, Puducherry governments - Mar 30, 2009