Stolen 1933 Picasso painting found abandoned in BrazilAugust 20th, 2008 - 1:03 am ICT by IANS
Sao Paulo (Brazil), Aug 19 (IANS) A stolen 1933 painting by the legendary Spanish painter Pablo Picasso was found abandoned by the Brazilian police here, Spain’s EFE news agency reported Tuesday.The painting, one of the four artworks that were stolen from the municipal art gallery here in June, was found abandoned next to a highway in the main city of Sao Paulo state last Friday, the report said.
The discovery was announced Monday only after the confirmation of the painting by experts, an official said.
Experts confirmed that the painting titled “Minotaur, Fountain and Women”, was the original artwork of Pablo Picasso, the report quoted a spokesperson of the state’s public safety office as saying.
Two other paintings: “Women at a Window” (1926) by Brazilian painter Di Cavalcanti (1897-1967) and “Couple” (1919) by Lithuanian-Brazilian artist Lasar Segall (1891-1957) were retrieved by the authorities Aug 7.
The third, “The Painter and his Model” (1963) by Pablo Picasso (1881-1973) was retrieved July 18.
The stolen artworks were valued at 1 million reais ($625,000).
The police said they have arrested the last of the three accomplices involved in the case after the abandoned painting was found Friday night. His two other partners have already been arrested.
Their identities were exposed after the security cameras in the gallery captured their images.
- Presenting, 'master' Picasso with 'fan' Souza in East-West showcase (With Images) - Dec 19, 2011
- Picasso works stolen from Brazil museum - Jun 13, 2008
- Sotheby's sells eight Picassos for more than $50 mn - May 05, 2011
- Picasso stolen from Athens National Gallery - Jan 10, 2012
- Picasso, most stolen artist - Jan 29, 2012
- Two stolen Picasso paintings recovered in Serbia - Oct 27, 2011
- Czech police look for stolen Picasso, Renoir paintings - Jul 12, 2012
- Picasso painting vandalised in US - Jun 20, 2012
- Picasso drawing stolen from SF art gallery - Jul 07, 2011
- Stolen Picasso paintings found in Serbia - Oct 08, 2011
- 28 stolen art pieces worth $3.5 mn found in Spain - Dec 21, 2010
- M.F. Husain 'Through The Eyes Of A Painter' (Chronology) - Jun 09, 2011
- London art fair to highlight Husain's work - Feb 16, 2011
- Forlan signs with Brazil's Internacional - Jul 07, 2012
- Thieves steal original painting of Brazilian flag - Aug 18, 2010