Stir for justice to Gujarat rape victim to be intensifiedMay 11th, 2008 - 1:06 am ICT by admin
Ahmedabad, May 10 (IANS) A parents’ association and a citizens’ forum Saturday decided to intensify their stir to seek justice for an 18-year-old student of a college in north Gujarat who earlier this year said she had been raped by six teachers for months. “Our primary aim is for a change in venue of the hearing to Ahmedabad,” Dwarika Nath Rath of the Socialist Unity Centre of India (SUCI) told IANS here.
Rath presided over the meeting of the students’ parents and citizens at Siddhapur town in Patan district, 135 km from here.
A resolution passed at the meeting demanded appointment of a special public prosecutor of the victim’s choice under the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989, and transfer of the case to the Ahmedabad Sessions Court to ensure a fair trial and avoid pressures of local vested interests.
The first-year student of the Primary Teachers Training College (PTC) run by the District Institute of Education and Training (DIET) revealed Feb 2 that six of her teachers had been sexually assaulting her for six months.
Soon, close to 100 female students of the college complained to principal K.T. Purania about sexual harassment by the six teachers.
Police soon arrested the six teachers even as the state government ordered a judicial inquiry.
- Bengal to bar students, teachers from political rallies - Sep 15, 2011
- Court seeks report on students being taken for rally - Sep 09, 2011
- Students seeks protection for Patan rape victim - Jul 01, 2008
- Bengal to recruit 46,000 teachers: Mamata - Jun 09, 2011
- Six Gujarat teachers get lifer for raping student - Mar 06, 2009
- 'Mission possible' to teach the police English (With Images) - May 01, 2011
- Parents protest against 'Glee teen sex scene' - Nov 09, 2011
- The "Glee" Stars Go Wild In GQ Photo-Shoot - Oct 21, 2010
- Students vandalise vehicles in Dhaka - Jul 08, 2012
- Students must get level playing field in competitiveness: President - Jan 26, 2011
- Primary school teachers in UK 'most at risk of assault' - Mar 29, 2010
- Two minors raped in Delhi - Jul 10, 2012
- Gujarat lecturer alleges rape by three teachers - Jun 22, 2010
- School teacher missing after complaint of harassment(Lead) - Dec 06, 2010
- British teacher jailed for sex with underage student - Jun 19, 2012