Stiff sentences and hefty fines for 13 fodder scam accusedJuly 21st, 2008 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, July 21 (IANS) A special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court Monday sentenced 13 people convicted in the fodder scam to prison terms and fines ranging from Rs.2 million to Rs.15 million. The court July 14 convicted senior Indian Administrative Service (IAS) official and Jharkhand Transport Secretary Sajjal Chakravarty and 63 others in a multi-million fodder scam case. Till now the court has passed sentences against 53 accused in the case.
The court Monday sentenced Ravi Sinha, a supplier, to seven years’ rigorous imprisonment and fined him Rs.15 million. Mohammad Syed, also a supplier, was awarded seven years rigorous imprisonment and a fine of Rs.12.5 million.
The other 11 convicts will be sentenced Wednesday.
The CBI court of B.K. Sahay had convicted Chakravarty and 63 others for fraudulent withdrawal of Rs.390 million from Chaibasa treasury in 1993-1994.
When the money was withdrawn Chakravarty was deputy commissioner of Chaibasa district.
There were 76 accused in this case. During trial five accused died, four turned approver for CBI, two accepted their crime and one is absconding.
The CBI lodged 63 cases in the fodder scam. Till now special CBI courts have pronounced judgement in 27 cases. Nearly 230 people have been convicted in the cases till now.
Railway Minister Lalu Yadav is accused in five of the fodder scam cases. The trial of the five cases are under progress in special CBI courts of Ranchi.
- 62 convicted in fodder scam, 23 jailed - Jan 28, 2011
- IAS officer acquitted in fodder scam - Aug 03, 2012
- Fodder scam: 35 sentenced to prison - Jan 29, 2011
- 4 to 7 years' jail for 40 convicted in fodder scam case - May 07, 2012
- 12 get four to six years' jail in fodder scam case - Dec 03, 2010
- Fodder scam: 34 get 1 to 6 years - May 05, 2012
- 52 convicted, eight sent to jail in fodder scam case - Nov 29, 2010
- Fodder scam: Lalu, Jagannath statements to be recorded - Feb 02, 2012
- 12 officials get five years' jail in fodder scam case - Dec 02, 2010
- 61 convicted in fodder scam case - Jan 16, 2012
- 69 convicted in fodder scam - May 03, 2012
- 64 people sentenced in fodder scam (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- 26 get 1-5 years' jail terms for fodder scam - Feb 02, 2012
- Fodder scam: Key facts - Jan 31, 2012
- Eleven more sentenced in fodder scam case - Dec 01, 2010