Steve Waugh asks Symonds to introspect his actionsAugust 31st, 2008 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Aug 31 (IANS) Former Australian cricket captain Steve Waugh has cautioned repeat offender Andrew Symonds to introspect his actions if he wants to save his career. The all-rounder was banned from the three-match series against Bangladesh Saturday after choosing to go fishing instead of attending a compulsory team meeting Friday morning.
Waugh said Symonds’ acts have put his commitment to the baggy green in question.
“They’ve done the right thing by sending him home,” Waugh was quoted as saying in Sunday Telegraph.
“There’s got to be consistency in the group and you’ve got to stand for something. You can’t have players doing that sort of stuff.
“He’s got to have a good look at what he’s doing for sure. He’s got to re-assess where he’s at if he’s doing these things. It’s not the first time.
“Sport, across the board, guys are getting paid a lot more money, you’re definitely more accountable for your actions,” Waugh said.
Symonds had also skipped an optional training session Friday afternoon.
The decision to send Symonds home was made by stand-in skipper Michael Clarke, Australian coach Tim Nielsen and team manager Steve Bernard.
Regular captain Ricky Ponting, at home recovering from wrist surgery, was also consulted.
- Waugh predicts Australia will win Ashes, but warns under-performing seniors - Oct 29, 2010
- Waugh asks Australian selectors to maintain stability - Dec 08, 2010
- Steve Waugh immortalized in bronze at SCG - Jan 05, 2011
- Waugh ready to come to the aid of 'hammered' Aussies - Jan 08, 2011
- Border has credentials to takeover as Oz cricket coach: Jones - Feb 12, 2011
- Atherton's ridicule of baggy greens leaves Australians simmering - Jan 04, 2011
- Warner implements match-like conditions at nets - Oct 25, 2011
- Pak trio deserved ICC ban, says Steve Waugh - Feb 08, 2011
- Waugh's Ashes warning to under-performing senior Oz stars - Oct 29, 2010
- Mark Waugh says Ponting will have win Ashes to keep Oz skipper's job - Nov 11, 2010
- Inspired by Tendulkar, Oz's 'Mr. Cricket' Hussey has no plans to retire - Oct 28, 2010
- MCC to propose lie-detector test for cricketers - Dec 15, 2010
- Matthew Hayden launches his biography - Oct 11, 2010
- Batting camp must address mental preparation: Mark Waugh - Dec 18, 2011
- Clarke will smash doubts over his leadership credentials: Nielsen - Dec 31, 2010