Step out in style with these summer footwearMay 8th, 2011 - 11:12 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 8 (IANS) Kolhapuri chappals, Rajasthani jootis, platform shoes, flat thong sandals… here are some fabulous footwear that will ensure you are not only comfortable in the scorching Indian summer but also stepping out in style.
“Taking into account the fact that footwear is no less important than garments, it is essential to choose a right pair. It’s an open secret that women are obsessed with shoes, but selecting a right pair while keeping in mind the personality and season is the most difficult task,” accessory designer Sonal Chavan told IANS.
“A nice pair of footwear can make a difference when it comes to your physique, posture as well as style so they need to be given a lot of thought if you want to look amazingly stylish,” she added.
With summer in our midst, markets are flooded with a variety of options to choose from, with some of the most sought after designs being the flat-thong sandals, platform shoes and Kolhapuri chappals.
“Keeping in mind the scorching summer season of India, college going girls and working ladies find it difficult to step out from their home in a sexy pair of stilettoes. So, Kolhapuri chappals and flat-thong sandals are the most in demand because of their comfortability factor and affordable pricing,” designer Purvi Khurana told IANS.
She added: “Also, to cover up your feet, platform shoes look absolutely divine. They not only offer a slimming effect but also a great amount of comfort due to the platform heels. For me, these shoes are the best example of comfort and design.”
The traditional Kolhapuri chappals and Rajasthani jootis can be worn both in office and outside and are elegant, fashionable choices.
Kolhapuri chappals are available in various sizes, patterns and colours with some of the traditional designs like Kachkadi, Bakkalnali, and Pukari being the most in demand.
Also, these are probably the only type of footwear which can effectively carry off any design without looking awkward.
“We deal with Kolhapuri chappals and Rajasthani jootis and girls are crazy for such footwear. Some are so fascinated that they purchase almost a dozen pairs matching their dress type.
“They are so light weight that anyone can carry them without a hitch. Apart from that, they can be worn for both casual purposes and party wear. The chappals and jootis adorned with gold cord, zari strips, pom poms or gota are perfect for special occasions like weddings and parties,” said a shopowner in Delhi Haat.
One can easily get these footwear in markets like Janpath, Sarojini Nagar and Kamla Market, with a price range between Rs.150 and Rs.400.
“I am not a hardcore brand person and this is the reason why I roam around the street markets to get the latest pick. There are so many stores where one can see the evolution of these chappals into its newer shoe-inspired avatar. These can be tied around the ankle or have a loop, which is absolutely stunning,” said socialite Divya Khurana.
(Nivedita Sharma can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Akala footwears draw tourists in Kenya - May 23, 2011
- Stilettos, gladiators, wedges ...for the well heeled! (With Images) - Sep 08, 2010
- Mom-to-be, that maxi dress is for you (With Images) - May 05, 2011
- Malini Ramani designs for Bata India - Dec 12, 2011
- Accessorise or try a bikini sari when on holiday (With Images) - Apr 11, 2012
- Apparel Brand Heart N Soul To Enter Footwear Business - Aug 06, 2010
- Chuck white this summer, don coloured accessories - May 03, 2012
- Chic outfits in bold avtars to dominate 2012 - Jan 01, 2012
- Celebrate Earth Day with footwear made of recycled tyres (With Images) - Apr 20, 2011
- Dream come true for Malini Ramani with interiors' foray (With Images) - Dec 18, 2011
- Retro to Hawaiian with a twist: Summer fashion for men - May 22, 2012
- Italian GAS footwear now available in Delhi - Sep 21, 2012
- Off with little black dress! Trousers are in - Jul 18, 2011
- Drape that Kanjeevaram, Benarasi this Diwali - Oct 20, 2011
- When fashion went boho and vintage (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 16, 2011
Tags: choices, colours, fabulous footwear, garments, girls, India, indian summer, midst, New Delhi, personality, physique, platform heels, platform shoes, posture, rajasthani, sexy pair, thong sandals