Stem cell division to evaluate clinical trialsApril 27th, 2012 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 27 (IANS) The Directorate General of Health Services has established a stem cell division to evaluate proposals concerning stem cell research, Health and Family Welfare Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said here Friday.
Speaking in the Lok Sabha, Azad said the stem cell division was established within the Biological Division in Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation for the internal evaluation of all proposals, including stem cell concerning with clinical trial and marketing authorisation.
“Till recently, there was no mechanism in place to take note of the cases violating these guidelines or take action against the agencies found violating these guidelines,” said Azad.
The Indian Council of Medical Research and the Department of Biotechnology have jointly formulated guidelines for stem cell research and therapy to help experts and scientists working in the field conduct research responsibly and ethically sensitive manner.
However, in view of the recent development in the field, the guidelines will be revised this year.
- Law for biomedical research on humans by end 2012: Official - Dec 27, 2011
- 'Illegal drug trials central government's responsibility' - Jan 06, 2012
- Health Minister Azad inaugurates centenary celebrations of ICMR - Nov 15, 2010
- Proposal for free medicines at government facilities - Mar 20, 2012
- Stem cell regulations shouldn't stifle research: Indian experts - Apr 21, 2011
- A council for human resource in health soon: PM (Second Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- 'Jungle Raj' in stem cell research: Official - Dec 28, 2011
- Stricter radiation norms soon for mobile handsets - Jun 05, 2011
- India, Rwanda to cooperate in health care - Nov 12, 2010
- 22 people died during clinical trials - Aug 09, 2011
- Consultative committee lauds Health Ministry's progress in AYUSH sector - Mar 24, 2011
- UP allots land for AIIMS in Rae Bareli town - Aug 13, 2012
- India calls for strengthening of Partners in Population and Development - Apr 02, 2011
- Enzyme essential for healthy lung development discovered - Mar 30, 2011
- Azad asks ICMR to speed up research in Malaria and Cancer - Dec 09, 2010
Tags: authorisation, biological division, clinical trial, clinical trials, control organisation, department of biotechnology, directorate general, drugs, family welfare, ghulam nabi azad, health services, internal evaluation, Lok Sabha, medical research, New Delhi, proposals, research health, scientists, sensitive manner, stem cell research