Steel plant to come up in ChhattisgarhSeptember 2nd, 2008 - 8:48 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Sep 2 (IANS) National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC), which is India’s largest iron ore producer and exporter in the public sector, will set up a steel plant in Chhattisgarh at a cost of Rs.120 billion, a company official said Tuesday.”There will be a joint foundation stone laying ceremony Sep 3 at village Nagarnar in Bastar district by Steel Minister Ram Vilas Paswan and Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh for a three-million tonne per annum capacity integrated steel plant,” Kumar Raghavan, NMDC executive director corporate communication, told IANS by phone from Hyderabad, the company’s headquarters.
Nagarnar is one of the four villages along with Kasturi, Amagura and Maganpur where NMDC has already acquired 403 hectares land in 2001 from 303 farmers for setting up a steel plant based on Romelt technology that is used for extracting iron from iron-bearing wastes from mines.
Even the foundation stone for the project was laid in September 2003 by then deputy prime minister L.K. Advani at Nagarnar village.
But the project was deadlocked as NMDC’s foreign collaborator, Moscow Institute for Steel and Alloys (MISA), refused to provide the Romelt technology.
Raghavan said the new steel unit will come up at the same site where the NMDC has already acquired land, which is located along the National Highway 43, some 20 km from Jagdalpur, the district headquarters of Bastar.
NMDC has three massive iron ore mining sites in Bastar region’s Bailadila hills of Dantewada district where it excavates 20.5 million tonnes of its total annual production of 27 million tonnes.
- Foundation stone laid for Rs.120 bn Chhattisgarh steel plant - Sep 03, 2008
- NMDC signs deal with MECON for Chhattisgarh project - Feb 24, 2011
- NMDC, BEC agreement for Chhattisgarh steel plant - Sep 06, 2011
- NMDC to open new iron ore mine in Chhattisgarh - Jul 29, 2011
- NMDC's Chhattisgarh steel plant to be ready by 2012 - Aug 18, 2010
- Railways suffer loss in Chhattisgarh as protest continues - Jan 20, 2012
- Anti-railway Bastar protests halt iron ore shipments - Jan 18, 2012
- NMDC to begin work on Chhattisgarh steel plant in October - Apr 28, 2010
- Maoists' shutdown hits NMDC iron ore transportation - Jul 08, 2011
- Maoist shutdown hits NMDC iron ore transportation (Lead) - Dec 06, 2010
- Anti-railway protest halts iron ore shipments (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Work on Rs.17,000-crore Bastar steel plant to start by year-end - Sep 08, 2009
- NMDC to acquire coking coal mine in Russia - Sep 24, 2011
- Policy matters, iron ore sourcing delaying steel plant: JSW Steel - Jan 10, 2012
- Maoists kill villager, blast Chitrakot police post (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2011