Stealing hens latest crime fad in UKJune 30th, 2008 - 11:27 am ICT by IANS
London, June 30 (IANS) People are chickening out from rearing rare hens in their back gardens after a wave of hen-stealing has hit the United Kingdom. London, June 30 (IANS) People are chickening out from rearing rare hens in their back gardens after a wave of hen-stealing has hit the United Kingdom.
Losses run into thousands of pounds already and insurance companies are a worried lot and the police at their wit’s end as the stealing spree goes unchecked.
An estimated 300,000 people rear hens in their backyards for their meat and eggs or as pets.
Emma Gleed, of the Domestic Fowl Trust, told The Independent: “Criminals are now feeding the market. Rare and pure-breed chickens are being stolen by organised thieves from farms and breeders across the country.
The craze for hen rearing and stealing began after a recent Channel 4 programme by famous chefs highlighted the conditions of battery hens. This prompted a surge in demand for free range birds and eggs. It also led to people rearing their own chickens for health reasons. In no time it turned into a hobby with people clamouring for rare breeds as pets.
It is estimated that 1,500 birds have been stolen this year to meet the demand for rare breeds such as the Orpington, Marans and Welsummer. They are being taken largely from people keeping poultry for the first time, often in their back garden, who are prepared to pay considerably over the market price for a good-looking hen.
Prices for rare birds have soared to as much as
- Endangered Himachal pheasant species breeds again - Jul 04, 2012
- Giant Python Caught in Florida - Aug 14, 2012
- Endangered pheasant species recouping (With Image) - Aug 30, 2011
- Dalai Lama speaks out against caging egg-laying hens (Lead) - Sep 01, 2010
- Emu farming spreads wings in Himachal - Aug 06, 2012
- 700,000 Britons now keep hens for eggs - Aug 01, 2011
- Chicken culling starts, as bird flu strikes Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Bird flu panic abates in Meghalaya - Feb 11, 2012
- Dinosaur-bird 'missing link' could be egg - Jul 13, 2012
- Mexico to vaccinate 1 mn chickens against bird flu - Jul 11, 2012
- 41 bird species found in Himachal wetlands - Jun 12, 2011
- Starving hens to hasten molting is now an offence - Mar 11, 2011
- Millions of birds dead, killed in Mexico flu outbreak - Jul 26, 2012
- Mother duck lays eggs at 'Chick-fil-A' drive-thru - Apr 08, 2011
- Hen sits on wrong nest, hatches ducklings - Apr 04, 2012