Statue in front of church smashed in KeralaSeptember 16th, 2008 - 3:49 pm ICT by IANS
Palakkad (Kerala), Sep 16 (IANS) A statue in front of a church in Sholayoor area of Kerala’s Palakkad district was found smashed, police said Tuesday. The statue in front of St. Antony’s Church was destroyed and its glass encasement broken. The incident came to the notice of the church caretakers Monday evening.
Sholayoor is a tribal area about 75 km from the Palakkad town, the district headquarters.
Police said it did not seem to be a pre-meditated attack since the area does not have any history of communal animosity.
They said the attack may be the work of someone who was drunk or some anti-social elements.
“We don’t have any communal problems here. This is a peaceful area. We reported the incident to the police. The priest in charge of the church is out of station. The attack must have taken place Monday afternoon,” Joseph Kalappurakkal, a representative of the church committee, told IANS.
- Church near Mysore vandalized - Jan 25, 2010
- Sri Lankan immigrant damages church statue in Italy - May 22, 2010
- Protest over damage caused to Ambedkar statue - Apr 14, 2011
- Touchdown Jesus statue struck by lightning - Jun 17, 2010
- Six of family killed in UP - May 28, 2012
- Three held for desecration of Ambedkar statues in Andhra (Lead, With corrections in paras 10, 11) - Jan 28, 2012
- Three held for desecration of Ambedkar statues in Andhra - Jan 28, 2012
- Cops summon top PFI leaders in chopping case - Aug 06, 2010
- Shops shut in violence-hit east Delhi area; situation under control (Second Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Police summon Kerala PFI chief in hand-chopping case - Aug 09, 2010
- Two churches vandalised in Kerala - Sep 21, 2008
- Kerala government soft on extremist outfits: BJP - Jul 19, 2010
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Mayawati statue vandalised in Lucknow, BSP stages protests (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Russian priest assaults women in road rage - Sep 06, 2012