States told to act against RTI attackersNovember 24th, 2011 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 24 (IANS) State governments should “promptly” investigate victimization of RTI activists and take action against their attackers, the Rajya Sabha was informed Thursday.
Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office V. Narayanasamy said in a written statement that at least nine RTI activists had been allegedly killed so far in the country.
“There have been some reports in the media that some persons have been assaulted in the last two years allegedly due to their role as RTI activists,” the minister said.
He identified nine such victims: Ramdas Pati Ghadegasonkar, Babbu Singh, Amit Jethwa, Datta Patil, Vittal Gite, Sola Ranga Rao, Arun Sawant, Shehla Masood and Nadim Sayeed.
Narayanasamy said there was no need for a separate policy to deal with such cases as existing laws were considered “adequate to provide for safety and security to all citizens including RTI activists”.
He said the central government had drawn the attention of states to media reports about “the victimization of people who use RTI to expose corruption and irregularities in administration.
“States have been requested that if any such instances comes to the notice, it should be properly inquired into and action taken against the offenders.”
- 12 RTI activists killed; report calls them 'sitting ducks' - Sep 02, 2011
- Cabinet clears Whistleblowers protection Bill (Lead) - Aug 09, 2010
- CBI probe an option in RTI activist's murder: Chidambaram - Sep 01, 2011
- CBI arrests another woman for murder - Mar 02, 2012
- BJP MP, to be quizzed, praises murdered activist - Sep 01, 2011
- CBI to 'recreate' RTI activist's murder scene - Sep 05, 2011
- 'Jealous woman architect plotted Shehla Masood murder' - Mar 04, 2012
- Threat to slain RTI activist's family: Forum-Asia - Sep 20, 2011
- CBI gets remand of Shehla Masood murder accused - Feb 29, 2012
- RTI activist attacked in Gujarat, critical - Aug 23, 2011
- CBI to probe RTI activist's murder in Bhopal - Aug 18, 2011
- CBI hints at BJP legislator's role in Shehla Masood's murder (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Anti-corruption crusader killed in Bhopal - Aug 16, 2011
- Shehla murder: BJP legislator offers to quit party post - Mar 14, 2012
- BJP MLA to be put through lie detector test in Masood murder case - Mar 09, 2012
Tags: activists, amit, arun, attackers, central government, corruption, datta, gite, irregularities, masood, minister of state, nadim, New Delhi, rajya sabha, ranga rao, safety and security, sayeed, shehla, state governments, vittal