State-run buses off Himachal roads, commuters hit hardJune 5th, 2012 - 9:47 am ICT by IANS
Shimla, June 5 (IANS) Employees of the state-run Himachal Road Transport Corporation (HRTC), which has a fleet over 1,900 buses, Tuesday went on a day-long strike, hitting the commuters hard.
Protesting employees said the buses that operate within and outside the state would remain off roads throughout the day.
Students and office-goers found it difficult to travel to their destinations because of paucity of buses.
The employees, who have been observing work to rule for the past one week, Monday decided to go on strike after talks with the management failed in Shimla.
Their demands included regularisation of the contract staff after completion of three years of service and converting the corporation into state roadways to protect the pension benefits.
Spokesman for the protesting employees Khemendra Gupta said the 24-hour strike commenced midnight.
HRTC, the biggest loss making unit in the state, is playing an important role in ferrying people even in the remotest villages across the state.
Besides HRTC, there are about 2,800 private buses plying in the state.
- Himachal bus strike hits commuters hard (Second Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Himachal bus strike hits commuters hard (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Himachal roadways employees call off planned stir - Jun 18, 2012
- Heading to Himachal hills this week? Think twice - Jun 18, 2012
- Bus services paralysed in Haryana after staff strike - Mar 31, 2010
- Thousands hit due to bus strike in Haryana (Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- Haryana bus strike hits thousands (Second Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- Banks, insurance companies shut in Himachal - Feb 28, 2012
- Transport strike troubles people in parts of Bengal - Jul 14, 2011
- Haryana Roadways employees' strike harasses people - Jun 08, 2011
- Telangana strike paralyses transport services - Sep 19, 2011
- Millions stranded in Karnataka as bus strike continues - Sep 14, 2012
- Himachal chief minister hints hike in bus fares - Mar 03, 2010
- Transport strike disrupts normal life in Bengal (Lead) - Jun 26, 2010
- Himachal court's directive on seats for women in buses - Aug 28, 2012