State owns Adarsh Society land, says judicial panelApril 17th, 2012 - 4:15 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 17 (IANS) In a major relief to three former chief ministers, a judicial panel probing Adarsh Society scam Tuesday said that the land on which the controversial highrise stands belongs to the state government and was not intended to rehabilitate Kargil war heroes or their relatives.
The interim report by the two-member judicial commission, comprising Justice (retd) J.A. Patil and former state chief secretary P. Subrahmanyam, appointed nearly one-and-half years ago, was tabled in the state legislature here Tuesday afternoon.
“Earlier, this morning, it was discussed at the state cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and approved before it was tabled in the legislature,” an official, declining to be identified, told IANS.
The interim report’s finding effectively spurns the claim of the defence authorities that the plot of land in the posh Colaba area of south Mumbai belonged to the defence department, and virtually upheld the state government’s contention that it was reclaimed from the Arabian Sea in the 1970s.
The commission, which is inquiring into 13 crucial points, submitted its findings on two critical aspects concerning the ownership of the land - where the 31-storeyed building stands - and its reservation for Kargil war heroes or their families.
The report, which claimed the job of former chief minister Ashok Chavan and also raised questions over the role played by his predecessors Vilasrao Deshmukh and Sushilkumar Shinde, who are now union ministers, will submit its final findings on the remaining 11 points later, the official informed.
- Adarsh society plot belongs to government, says judicial panel (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- No impact of Adarsh case panel's finding on probe: CBI - Apr 17, 2012
- Adarsh Society probe interim report likely Friday - Apr 12, 2012
- Adarsh probe panel summons Deshmukh, Shinde - May 23, 2012
- Adarsh panel questions Sushil Kumar Shinde - Jun 25, 2012
- Adarsh society case: Interim probe report submitted - Apr 13, 2012
- Chavan grabbed over six flats in Adarsh: BJP secretary - Apr 25, 2012
- Adarsh scam: Deshmukh blames former ministers - Jun 27, 2012
- Adarsh scam: Money laundering case against 14 accused - Apr 30, 2012
- Adarsh scam: Court rejects bail plea of 9 accused - Apr 21, 2012
- Adarsh scam: Court rejects bail plea of accused (Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Under flak, Chavan meets Sonia, PM - Apr 21, 2012
- Adarsh scam interim probe report soon - Feb 24, 2012
- Prithviraj Chavan announces judicial probe into Adarsh scam - Jan 08, 2011
- Ashok Chavan shifts Adarsh blame to Deshmukh - Jun 20, 2011
Tags: arabian sea, cabinet meeting, chavan, chief minister, chief ministers, chief secretary, critical aspects, defence authorities, defence department, deshmukh, highrise, judicial commission, judicial panel, kargil war heroes, plot of land, south mumbai, state cabinet, state chief, sushilkumar shinde, union ministers