Star hurdler Liu Xiang wins Kawasaki meetMay 6th, 2012 - 6:43 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, May 6 (IANS) China’s star hurdler Liu Xiang recorded his first win of the outdoor season, storming to top in the men’s 110-meter hurdles event at the IAAF Golden Grand Prix in Kawasaki, Japan, Sunday.
With the absence of big names including Cuba’s world record holder Dayron Robles as well as America’s David Oliver, Aries Merritt and Ryan Wilson, the 28-year-old Liu emerged as the hottest favourite. Liu proved his strength in the race, claiming the convincing victory in 13.09 seconds as he led from the start on a wet track.
Omo Osaghae of United States finished second in 13.33 while his countryman Ronald Brookins took the third position in 13.69, Xinhua reported.
Liu’s winning mark is the second fastest time this season. America’s Aries Merritt set his personal best and the season’s fastest time of 13.03 seconds two days ago in Fayetteville, USA.
After withdrawing from the the Beijing Olympic Games due to a heel injury, Liu is keen to restore his glory in the London Games. It was the first outdoor race for the Athens Olympic Champion, who has adopted to the strategy of seven steps to the first hurdle.
Liu will next return to his home town Shanghai to compete in the Samsung Diamond League May 19 as part of his build-up for the Olympics in July-August.
- Liu Xiang equals men's 110m hurdles world record - Jun 03, 2012
- Liu Xiang leads China's medal charge in London - Jul 09, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Merritt hurdles to 110m gold for US - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Merritt a deserving 110m hurdles champion (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Chinese hurdler Liu hints London Games his last - Feb 18, 2012
- Liu dominates 110m hurdles, Powell takes 100m in Shanghai - May 20, 2012
- Liu Xiang, Robles set for Birmingham showdown - Feb 10, 2012
- Cuban hurdler Robles wants nothing but gold at London - Feb 09, 2012
- Liu Xiang needs to run inside 12.95 for gold: coach - Jul 28, 2012
- Robles to train in Spain ahead of Olympics - Jun 26, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Deserved triumph for Merritt on good night for US (Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- Jamaican trio wins but Fraser-Pryce beaten again - Aug 27, 2012
- Liu Xiang arrives in London, eying second Olympic gold medal - Jul 12, 2012
- Bolt, Blake to lead Caribbean challenge - Aug 22, 2012
- Bolt's peerless victory in Zagreb 100 metres - Sep 14, 2011
Tags: 110 meter hurdles, athens olympic, brookins, convincing victory, countryman, david oliver, fastest time, hurdler, liu xiang, london games, olympic champion, olympic games, personal best, ryan wilson, s david, seven steps, third position, wet track, world record holder, xinhua