Stalemate continues in Himachal assemblyMarch 14th, 2012 - 6:34 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, March 14 (IANS) The stalemate in the Himachal Pradesh assembly between the opposition Congress and the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) continued for third day Wednesday, with the former staging a walkout.
Congress members were opposing the rejection of Health Minister Rajeev Bindal’s resignation by Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal without any inquiry into the corruption allegations against him.
They trooped towards the speaker’s podium and raised slogans like “Himachal on sale” in the midst of question hour.
The proceedings of the house continued after the Congress members walked out, after staging an over one hour protest.
As the assembly began in the morning, leader of opposition Vidya Stokes condemned Tuesday’s episode in the assembly. She blamed the treasury benches for creating chaos and not letting her make her point on corruption.
Speaker Tulsi Ram intervened and said he was pained to see it all happening in the assembly.
Dhumal Tuesday rejected the resignation of Bindal, saying the opposition allegations of corruption against him were baseless.
“He resigned on moral grounds and I rejected the resignation after consideration. There was no substance in the Congress charges and he was not guilty at all,” Dhumal told reporters.
Bindal gave his resignation Monday to Dhumal in the assembly amid uproar.
- Himachal minister resigns amid assembly uproar (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Himachal legislator for 'no work, no pay' in house - Mar 16, 2012
- Congress legislators gag up with black bands - Mar 15, 2012
- Ruckus in Himachal assembly over corruption - Mar 13, 2012
- Dhumal rejects health minister's resignation - Mar 13, 2012
- Himachal Congress boycotts minister in assembly - Mar 20, 2012
- No-trust motion against Dhumal defeated in Himachal (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Congress walkout from Himachal assembly over graft - Aug 27, 2012
- Himachal Congress lawmakers in Gandhigiri protest - Mar 19, 2012
- Himachal minister resigns - Mar 12, 2012
- Ruckus in Himachal assembly over Dhumal's remarks - Aug 24, 2011
- Opposition Congress at receiving end (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Mar 18, 2012
- On average, five walkouts a year by Congress in Himachal - Aug 30, 2012
- Himachal assembly takes up no-confidence motion - Aug 28, 2012
- Opposition creates ruckus in Himachal assembly - Dec 20, 2011
Tags: benches, chief minister, congress members, corruption allegations, health minister, leader of opposition, moral grounds, opposition congress, podium, rajeev, rejection, resignation, slogans, staging, stalemate, third day, tulsi, uproar, vidya, walkout