St. Stephen’s acting principal resignsMarch 15th, 2008 - 11:58 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 15 (IANS) The acting principal of Delhi University’s St. Stephen’s College Valson Thampu Saturday resigned from the post citing personal reasons. “From Monday, Thampu will not be the college’s acting principal. He has put in his papers, citing personal reasons,” Sunil Mathew, the media advisor of the college, told reporters.
Thampu had taken charge as the officer on special duty (OSD) of the college in May 2007 to officiate as the principal. The vacancy had arisen following the appointment of Anil Wilson, then college head, as vice-chancellor of Himachal University in January 2007.
He was in the midst of a controversy after doubts were raised over the validity of his Ph.D. degree and whether he fulfilled the criteria.
As per the norms of the University Grants Commission (UGC) that governs the functioning of higher education institutions and universities in the country, a college principal must possess a valid Ph.D. degree.
There were doubts on whether Thampu had got his Ph.D. from a university recognised by the UGC.
Thampu confirmed to the media that he had resigned but did not specify the reasons behind the move.
“It is a personal matter, and I will not like to make comments,” he said.
The college administration said the Supreme Council would decide shortly on Thampu’s successor before the appointment of a regular principal.
In July 2007 Thampu decided to increase the quota for Christian students to 40 percent, out which 10 percent was set aside for Dalit Christian students, a move that drew flak from many quarters.
- Thampu qualified to head St. Stephen's College: Court (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Notice to DU, St. Stephen's on principal's appointment - Aug 01, 2012
- St.Stephens, DU's response sought on plea against principal - Oct 20, 2009
- Sibal backs Unmukt, requests DU to allow him for exam - Aug 31, 2012
- Court questions Delhi University on Ph.D. admission (Lead) - Sep 14, 2011
- Be smart about getting a PhD - Jan 15, 2011
- Debt-ridden Bengal announces increment for government college teachers - Aug 21, 2012
- Quraishi's appointment to St Stephen's governing body upheld - Feb 08, 2010
- Congress MP Sandeep Dikshit in St. Stephen's association soup - Sep 07, 2011
- Aslam is acting vice-chancellor of IGNOU - Oct 21, 2011
- Sandeep Dikshit barred from using St. Stephen's logo (Lead) - Sep 28, 2011
- The questions that Unmukt Chand raised (Comment) - Sep 02, 2012
- 67,000 awarded degrees at Delhi University - Mar 20, 2010
- Kachroo ragging case: Convicts may return to college - Aug 23, 2012
- Notice to government over re-appointment of Jamia Hamdard VC - Feb 16, 2012