St. Petersburg gays to rally despite banJuly 7th, 2012 - 9:41 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 7 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The St. Petersburg gay and transsexual community will stage a parade despite the city council’s ban on the event, according to organiser Yury Gavrikov.
St. Petersburg authorities revoked their permission to hold an event in support of civil rights for Russia’s gay and transsexual community originally planned for July 7, a spokesperson for the St. Petersburg governor said Thursday.
“The goal of the event is to attract the attention of the public and the authorities to violations of civil rights of the LGBT community and to the need to pass legislation prohibiting discrimination over sexual orientation.
“But according to information in the press, the organisers of the event plan to hold the third gay pride parade in St. Petersburg,” the city committee on law and security said in a statement.
According to the authorities, residents of the city believe this event is “aimed at promoting homosexual, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender practices among minors.”
That is why the permission has been revoked, they said.
Authorities received “many phone calls and e-mails both from St. Petersburg and other Russian cities with requests to cancel the gay pride parade”, they added.
- Russian city to slap fine for promoting homosexuality - Feb 03, 2012
- Madonna should be denied Russian visa: Theologian - Apr 06, 2012
- Protests over Russian 'gay propaganda' bill - Dec 27, 2011
- Russian city bans homosexual propaganda - Feb 29, 2012
- Russian gays plead for end to crackdown - Dec 02, 2011
- Russian gay rights activist fined under new law - May 05, 2012
- Russian gays challenge bill in court - Apr 03, 2012
- Gay propaganda banned in Russian city - Mar 11, 2012
- Russian gay rights activists arrested under new law - Apr 07, 2012
- Amnesty International urges Russia to permit gay parade - May 19, 2011
- Moscow bans gay parade - May 18, 2011
- Gay parade banned in capital of Belarus - Oct 18, 2011
- Anti-gay propaganda bill passed in Siberia - Apr 26, 2012
- Delhi draped in rainbow colours as gay walk for pride - Nov 28, 2010
- Gay rights activists detained in Moscow - May 28, 2012
Tags: authorities, city committee, civil rights, discrimination, gay pride parade, legislation, lgbt community, moscow, organisers, phone calls, ria novosti, russia, russian cities, sexual orientation, spokesperson, st petersburg, transgender, transsexual community, yury