Sriram advances, doubles top seeds shocked in DSCL nationals (Lead)December 3rd, 2008 - 9:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 3 (IANS) Sriram Balaji Narayanaswamy swept aside Ronak Manuja to enter the singles quarter-final while in doubles Vikram Reddy and Abhijeet Tiwari shocked top seeds Ranjeet Virali Murugesan and Vijay Sundar Prashanth to move into the semi-final of the DSCL men’s tennis national at the DLTA stadium here Wednesday. While there were no major upsets in the singles, the doubles draw came alive with some lower ranked players spanking their seeded opponents.
Vikram and Abhijeet toiled hard to put out the top seeds 7-6(5), 3-6 (11-9) to set up a semifinal clash with wildcards Pulkit Mishra and Ankit Sachdeva, who upset fourth seeds Arjun Goutham and Aditya Madkekar 6-3, 3-6, (10-8).
A poised Sriram, 18, played a sharp game and showed good court-craft as he put pressure on Ronak to win 6-3, 6-4.
Sriram broke Ronak in the second game to take the first set. Ronak showed signs of a fightback when he broke Sriram in second game of the second set but was immediately muffled by the Tamil Nadu boy, who broke him the very next game and then in the ninth game to close the match in one hour and 26 minutes.
“I did not restrict myself to the baseline and rushed to the nets when required. I moved well on the court. I took it bit easy in the second set but played good overall,” said Sriram, who in quarter-final meets second seed Rohan Gide, who dispatched Rubal Shandilya 6-2, 6-4.
“I have beaten Rohan before, so I am confident about the next match,” Sriram said.
It proved another easy win for Madkekar, who gave a 6-0, 6-1 pounding to qualifier Ketan Dhumal to set-up a clash with Vijayant Malik, who upset fourth-seeded Vijay Sunder Prashant 6-3, 6-4 in the second round.
In other doubles matches, third seeds Mithun Murali and Vinod Sridhar edged past Gide and Malik 6-3, 1-6 (10-5). In the semi-final, they will meet Yannick Nelord and Saurav Sukul, who beat P.C. Vignesh and Fariz Mohammad 6-4, 6-3.
- Chen stumbles into semis of ITF meet - Jun 14, 2012
- Smooth sailing for seeds in Bangalore ITF - Jun 13, 2012
- Rawat eliminates Rastogi in ITF tourney - Jun 06, 2012
- Malik leads way into last 8 in ITF meet - May 30, 2012
- Malik leads way into last eight of ITF tennis - May 02, 2012
- Balaji, Espasandin in ITF tennis title clash - May 04, 2012
- Gide, Sharan exit early from National Grasscourt Tennis - Dec 23, 2009
- Myneni enters semi-finals of ITF Futures tennis - Nov 10, 2011
- Easy win for Murugesan in ITF meet - May 28, 2012
- Easy wins for Vishnu, Sriram in ITF meet - Jun 04, 2012
- Malik in Mandya Open semis - Jun 01, 2012
- Top seed Chen bows out of ITF meet - Jun 07, 2012
- Sriram, Ranjeet in DSCL tennis nationals semis - Dec 04, 2008
- Sriram advances to DSCL men's tennis quarters - Dec 03, 2008
- Tennis: Nelord, Vignaesh ousted, unseeded Wagh in semis - Mar 03, 2011