Srinagar police remove hoardings ‘warning’ young couplesFebruary 3rd, 2009 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Feb 3 (IANS) Hoardings “threatening and warning youth against indulging in immoral activities” were Tuesday removed from a locality in the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, the police said.The hoardings put up in a residential area near Gole Market in Karan Nagar, around three km from the city centre, had warned the youth against indulging in immoral and obsence activities.
“The hoardings threatening youth of serious consequences if they indulged in immoral activities were removed,” a police officer said here.
But, the residents of the area defended the “warnings”, saying there was nothing wrong or illegal about it.
“All these hoardings said was that the youth found indulging in immoral activities in the area would be handed over to the police or deterrent action taken against them before being handed over to their parents,” said Imtiyaz Ahmad, 34, a resident of the area.
He said the residents were witnessing some young couples coming in vehicles and indulging in immoral activities while parking their cars in the deserted lanes and by-lanes of the area.
“Please do not try to hype the issue. We simply said those indulging in such acts would be handed over to the police or upbraided before being handed over to their parents,” said another resident of the area who wanted not to be named.
“We have not taken the law into our hands nor inflicted physical or mental injury to anyone. Kindly don’t try to equate this incident with the beating of the youth in a Mangalore pub. The two incidents have no connection at all,” the resident said.
- Protests against moral policing in Karnataka - Jul 29, 2012
- Mosque area tense, many held for stoning cops (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Mosque area tense, two held for stoning cops (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Guerrillas shoot dead youth in Kashmir - Feb 19, 2012
- 40 wounded in day-long Kashmir violence - Feb 02, 2010
- Washerman beaten to death, politician held - Jul 11, 2010
- Mamata' looks clear favourite in by-election (Curtain raiser) - Sep 24, 2011
- Kashmir rights panel slams staged shootouts - Jul 19, 2012
- Youth's killing triggers tensions in north Kashmir - Feb 11, 2012
- Crimes in Bangalore, Mangalore worrisome, says chief minister - Aug 15, 2012
- Youth's death in firing triggers tension in Kashmir (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Karnataka Police warn against betting on World Cup matches - Feb 27, 2011
- Police near homes leave Tibetans sore - Mar 28, 2012
- Man stabbed by friend for stepping on foot - Jan 17, 2011
- Rajasthan cops offer reward for clues to missing nurse - Sep 17, 2011