Srinagar-Jammu highway re-opened to trafficFebruary 16th, 2012 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Feb 16 (IANS) Much to the respite of the stranded passengers on both sides of the Jawahar Tunnel in Jammu and Kashmir, the Srinagar-Jammu national highway was re-opened to vehicular traffic on Thursday after three days of closure.
Traffic officials said that only the state roadways buses carrying passengers would be permitted on the highway Thursday. Besides, priority would be given to vehicles stranded on the highway.
“Buses travelling from Srinagar to Jammu must cross Khannabal (Anantnag) before 10.30 a.m.,” the official said.
The fresh snowfall over the last three days, avalanches and landslides on the highway in Banihal and Panthal area caused the road to remain closed for three days. However, in an effort to clear the stranded vehicles, the highway was opened Monday for a brief period.
About 300-km Srinagar-Jammu highway is the landlocked valley’s only operational winter link with the rest of the country.
The highway is the lifeline for the valley and any extended closure of the highway results in traders resorting to hoarding and profiteering.
Heavy snowfall in January had caused a grave cooking gas crisis in Kashmir with the authorities rationing the supply and ordering the cylinders to be filled with just five kg of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) instead of the standard 14.2 kg.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had sought action against the oil companies for their failure to store enough LPG in the valley to last for the winter months.
- Srinagar-Jammu highway opened to one-way traffic - Jan 09, 2012
- Fresh snowfall blocks Srinagar-Jammu highway again - Feb 15, 2012
- Jammu-Srinagar highway open to one-way traffic - Jan 10, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway open for one-way traffic - Jan 22, 2012
- Over 1,200 stranded passengers ferried by IAF (Second Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- One-way traffic on Jammu-Srinagar highway (With Images) - Jan 11, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway closed for second day - Feb 05, 2012
- Fresh snowfall blocks Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 06, 2012
- Over 2,000 Kashmir-bound passengers stranded in Jammu - Jan 09, 2012
- IAF sorties between Srinagar and Jammu begin (Lead) - Jan 21, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway closed due to landslides - Feb 24, 2011
- IAF sorties for stranded passengers in Jammu and Kashmir - Jan 20, 2012
- Snowfall cuts off Kashmir from rest of country - Jan 16, 2012
- Snow closes Srinagar-Jammu national highway - Jan 08, 2011
- One-way traffic from Jammu to Srinagar Monday - Jan 23, 2012
Tags: anantnag, authorities, avalanches, chief minister, closure, gas crisis, heavy snowfall, highway buses, jammu and kashmir, jawahar tunnel, kashmir, kg, landslides, lifeline, liquefied petroleum gas, oil companies, respite, state roadways, traffic officials, vehicular traffic