Sri Lanka’s flood havoc kills 11, displaces over 150,000 (Lead)June 2nd, 2008 - 5:00 pm ICT by IANS
By P. Karunakharan
Colombo, June 2 (IANS) Floods and landslides due to heavy rains in several parts of Sri Lanka have left at least 11 people dead and over 150,000 displaced amid warning of further rains and strong winds, officials here said Monday. Colonel Keethi Ekkanayake, national coordinator of the Disaster Management Centre, said the overnight death toll of four increased to 11 by Monday noon when seven people including children were reported dead due to floods and fresh landslide in the southern Kalutara district.
“The situation is getting worse in Mileniyaya and Bulathsinhala areas in Kalutara district. Overall, more than 150,000 people from 45,000 families have been badly affected due to the flood havoc,” Col. Ekkanayake told IANS.
Torrential monsoon rains have caused the Kalu Ganga, Nilwala Ganga, Gin Ganga and Kelani Ganga rivers to overflow, displacing at least 9,745 families from these areas.
According to Disaster Relief Services Minister Ameer Ali, southern Galle, central Ratnapura and western Gampaha districts are the other three districts that have been badly affected by floods and landslides.
Ali said two air force helicopters and navy boats were deployed to rescue and assist thousands of flood victims. The displaced families have been provided temporary shelter in government schools and temples.
“We have made arrangements to pay initially Rs.15,000 as funeral expenses for the families of the dead,” Ali said.
Meanwhile, the Department of Meteorology in its weather forecast report said Monday morning that “there will be showers and thundershowers at times in the western, Sabaragamuwa and central provinces and parts of the north-western province and Galle and Matara districts in the Southern province during the next 24 hours.”
- 13 killed, over 225,000 displaced in Sri Lanka floods (Third Lead) - Jun 03, 2008
- Sri Lanka floods kill four, 87,000 displaced - Jun 02, 2008
- Lightning kills five in Sri Lanka - Oct 04, 2010
- 175 killed in China floods - Jun 20, 2011
- 55,000 evacuated as fresh floods hit China - Jun 15, 2011
- UN agencies assisting Sri Lanka in flood relief - May 22, 2010
- 11 die in Philippines storm - Aug 08, 2012
- Pakistan gives out tents, food to flood-hit - Oct 04, 2011
- Downpour wreaks havoc across China - Jul 24, 2012
- 23 die as hurricane rains hit Central America - Oct 13, 2011
- 38,000 displaced in Sri Lanka floods - Dec 22, 2011
- Floods kill three in Sri Lanka - May 31, 2008
- 141 dead, 4 mn homeless in Pakistan floods - Sep 11, 2011
- Rains, floods hit China - Jun 28, 2012
- Monsoon rains kill 17 more in Nepal - Jul 15, 2011