Sri Lankan troops seize rebel territoryJune 29th, 2008 - 11:52 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, June 29 (Xinhua) The Sri Lanka government soldiers Sunday seized an area from the Tamil Tiger rebels in the country’s north following several days of fierce fighting, a defence ministry statement said. The advancing troops Sunday took control of the Mannar area, also called ‘Rice Bowl’, after days of heavy fighting between the government troops and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE), the statement said.
The area is about 120 sq km, which is mainly used for paddy cultivation.
The capture of the ‘Rice Bowl’ and adjacent areas would stop the LTTE from using the 12 km stretch of the Mannar-Pooneryn main road and a 13-km coastal stretch in the region.
In July last year, the government soldiers took control of the entire Eastern Province from the LTTE.
The troops are currently battling the LTTE in the north with the aim of crushing the rebel group before the end of 2008.
The LTTE has been fighting against the government since the mid-1980s to establish an independent homeland for the island’s minority Tamils, which led to the death of more than 70,000 people.
- Troops enter Mullaitivu, LTTE's last bastion (Second Lead) - Jan 25, 2009
- LTTE's last stronghold Mullaitivu captured: Lankan army chief (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2009
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- 51 combatants killed, 50 injured in Sri Lanka clashes - Aug 28, 2008
- Sri Lankan troops enter Tigers' last major bastion (Third Lead) - Jan 25, 2009
- Credible allegations of war crimes in Sri Lanka war: UN report - Apr 26, 2011
- Sri Lankan army seizes strategic LTTE stronghold - Nov 13, 2008
- Troops capture last LTTE landmass in Jaffna (Lead) - Jan 14, 2009
- Sri Lanka troops, LTTE rebels clash in Jaffna peninsula - Dec 06, 2008
- Week-long felicitation to mark Sri Lankan military victories - Nov 15, 2008
- Over 4,500 former Tamil Tigers rehabilitated - Oct 20, 2010
- Sri Lankan troops capture LTTE airstrip in Mullaitivu - Jan 10, 2009
- LTTE's last Sea Tiger base captured: Sri Lanka (Lead) - Feb 05, 2009
- End of LTTE in sight, say Sri Lankan military - Jan 25, 2009
- Sudan rebels claim killing 79 soldiers - Apr 21, 2012