Sri Lankan politician arrested for human smugglingJuly 25th, 2012 - 1:53 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, July 25 (IANS) A politician and another suspect have been arrested over a human smuggling operation in Sri Lanka, police said.
Police spokesperson Ajith Rohana told Xinhua that the politician is a member of the Tamil National Alliance (TNA) and is a candidate for the local council elections in the east scheduled for September.
“Over the past few days there were reports of attempts by people to go overseas by boat illegally. We had reported how the Tamil diaspora may also be involved in human smuggling and that has now been confirmed with the arrest of the two key suspects,” the police spokesperson said.
He said the two suspects were believed to have been involved in attempts to send several Tamils to Australia by boat.
The two were arrested from the eastern town of Trincomalee where several attempts were made in the recent days by asylum seekers to head to Australia by boat.
Rohana said that the suspects had taken money from the Tamils to send them overseas through illegal means.
He said that they are looking for more suspects.
Despite the risks of being caught by Sri Lankan authorities or perishing during their journey, many continue to risk their lives to reach Australia by boat.
According to the Australian media, over 1,300 Sri Lankans illegally reached Australia by boat since January 2012.
The Sri Lankan Navy and the police have arrested hundreds of others over the past several weeks as they attempted to make the treacherous journey by boat.
- Sri Lanka detains 113 on way to Australia - May 28, 2012
- Sri Lanka navy arrests 54 Australia-bound asylum seekers - Sep 06, 2012
- Tamil Tiger held at Sri Lankan airport - Jul 18, 2012
- Sri Lankan Navy arrests Australia-bound asylum seekers - Aug 20, 2012
- Sri Lanka records rise in rapes of children - Jul 05, 2012
- Over 400 suffer food poisoning in Sri Lanka - Jul 16, 2012
- Man held in Sri Lanka with cocaine in belly - May 02, 2012
- 232 Sri Lankans held while illegally migrating - Jul 16, 2012
- Sri Lanka fishermen clash with cops over fuel price hike - Feb 15, 2012
- Over 100 Tamil migrants heading to Canada arrested - Oct 30, 2010
- 150 Sri Lankans headed for Australia detained in Kerala - Jun 05, 2012
- 150 Sri Lankans caught on illegal trip to Australia - Jun 04, 2012
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- Travel advisory: India assures safety to visiting Sri Lankans (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Dominican Republic shipwreck toll rises to 16 - Feb 06, 2012
Tags: asylum seekers, attempts, australia, council elections, few days, human smuggling, local council, money, national alliance, police spokesperson, politician, sri lanka police, sri lankan authorities, sri lankan navy, sri lankans, tamils, tna, treacherous journey, trincomalee, xinhua