Sri Lankan family overcomes Samurai attacker, locks him in cupboardOctober 2nd, 2008 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 2 (IANS) A brave Sri Lankan Tamil family is being praised after overcoming a Samurai attacker in a shop in the British city of Bristol.Reports said attacker Andrew Speed, an 18-year-old drug addict, was shocked by the spirited resistance put up by the shopkeepers at their grocery store in Southmead, Bristol.
Speed even begged police officers to arrest him quickly to spare him from the family’s retaliation, a Bristol court heard this week.
Jailing Speed for three-and-a-half years for the June attack, Judge David Ticehurst said the self-defence of the staff was “entirely reasonable” given the terrifying circumstances.
Speed had burst in and leapt on to the counter before lunging at Rameshkumar Rasiah, the shop assistant, thrusting the 18-inch blade at him and threatening: “I am going to stab you. I am going to kill you.”
But Rasiah, 31, said to have recently arrived from Sri Lanka, grabbed him and the sword and called for reinforcements.
At the call, Rasiah’s sister Suragini Jeyanthan and her husband Nagaratnam Jeyanthan, who were upstairs, ran down armed with a broom and a metal pipe.
The three grappled with the robber for two minutes before bundling him into the store cupboard, and locking him inside.
When he was eventually escorted from the shop by police he pleaded: “Please, keep them away from me, I will not play up, get me out of here.”
Rasiah, who suffered cuts and bruises to his palm and elbow, said the robber had “picked on the wrong shopkeeper”.
“I was not backing down because I knew I had to protect the shop for my boss.”
Jeyanthan, who has a five-month old daughter, said outside court: “We don’t feel like heroes, we were protecting ourselves and our shop. I felt like closing the shop for good but now I think we will be staying because I feel we have the support of the community.”
- Brit-Indian shopkeeper's murder watched by teenage daughter on CCTV - Nov 29, 2010
- Two suspects questioned by cops in connection with Brit-Indian shopkeeper's murder - Nov 29, 2010
- Robber held after returning to shop for his coat! - Sep 16, 2011
- Robbery Attempt Foiled by Clerk With Samurai Sword - Jan 21, 2011
- Baby Sitter Chases Robber With Broom To Get Him Arrested - Jan 17, 2011
- British boy abducted from mall, raped - Aug 22, 2012
- Shopkeeper in Britain prevents robbery with stick - Apr 09, 2012
- Indian-origin shopkeeper beaten to death, British court told - Sep 03, 2010
- Brit-Indian Sikh shopkeeper was battered to death with wine bottle, court told - Sep 03, 2010
- Three Brit teens face jail for assault on Asian shopkeepers - Oct 24, 2009
- Fox forces man into handing over dinner - Mar 08, 2012
- Clerk foils robbery attempt with sword in SC - Jan 21, 2011
- Concern over overworked online Chinese shopkeeper's death - Jul 27, 2012
- Civil war enthusiast Alf Thompson uses his skills to disarm robber - Aug 07, 2012
- Grenade attack on Karachi departmental store - Jul 29, 2012