Sri Lankan ex-army chief gets bailMay 18th, 2012 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, May 18 (IANS) Sri Lanka’s jailed former army chief Sarath Fonseka Friday got bail in a case in which he is accused of harbouring army deserters.
Fonseka was granted the one million rupees ($8,000) bail and ordered to hand over his passport to the court. He was absent when the ruling was given as he is hospitalized.
Fonseka will, however, remain in jail and await the president’s pardon as he is also serving a three-year sentence after being found guilty for alleging that the surrendering Tamil Tigers were killed during the ethnic war.
On Thursday, President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s spokesperson announced the cabinet’s approval for the release of the former army commander.
Earlier, the president had a discussion with Fonseka’s wife Anoma Fonseka, who was leading the campaign of his party Democratic National Alliance (DNA).
Fonseka led the country’s three decades war to victory as the army commander. But he and the president fell out when the former entered politics and contested in the presidential election in 2010.
Days after his defeat, Fonseka was arrested and has since then remained in detention.
- Rajapaksa gets nod to free jailed ex-army chief - May 17, 2012
- Rajapaksa orders release of jailed ex-army chief - May 20, 2012
- Sri Lanka's ex-army chief released from jail - May 21, 2012
- Former Sri Lankan army chief to be tried for mutiny - Jun 07, 2012
- My life is under threat: Sri Lankan ex-army chief - Jun 10, 2012
- Sri Lanka's former army chief vows to topple government - Jun 14, 2012
- Chaos in Colombo court after ex-army chief gets new jail term - Nov 19, 2011
- Fonseka jailed for three years - Nov 18, 2011
- Sri Lanka opposition protests court martial of former army chief - Aug 17, 2010
- Fonseka's wife, Muslim leader claim he has been kidnapped - Feb 09, 2010
- Sri Lanka against disguising global influence - May 02, 2012
- Sri Lanka's ex-army chief barred from parliament - May 05, 2010
- Free Fonseka, Sri Lankan opposition says (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Sri Lankan president ratifies ex-army chief's dishonorable discharge - Aug 14, 2010
- EU wants fair trail for Sri Lanka detainees - May 06, 2012
Tags: anoma, army chief, army commander, army deserters, dna, ethnic war, fonseka, mahinda rajapaksa, national alliance, one million, passport, president mahinda rajapaksa, presidential election, rupees, spokesperson, sri lanka, sri lankan, tamil tigers, three decades, victory