Sri Lankan delegation to visit Surajkund fairFebruary 14th, 2009 - 4:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 14 (IANS) Keen on having a fair in Sri Lanka on the lines of the Surajkund Craft Mela, a 11-member delegation from that country will Sunday visit Faridababd in Haryana to witness how the 23rd edition of the event is being held.
A spokesperson for the Surajkund Crafts Mela, which is annually organised by the Haryana government, said the Sri Lankan delegation will explore the possibility of organising such a fair in their country in April.
“Sri Lanka’s ministry of rural industries and self employment promotion plans to hold an art and crafts festival in Sigiriya, an ancient city, with the assistance of those visiting Surajkund,” the spokesperson said.
The Surajkund Mela, first held in 1981, celebrates the handlooms and handicraft traditions of the country. It is a fortnight long event in February.
Beneath thatched roof platforms, master craftsmen display the finest of handlooms and handicrafts. Shops bustle with the brilliance of mirror encasing embroidery, delicate lace work, folk motifs on terracotta forms, metal and cane-ware, the tinkle of bangles, shimmer of iridescent silks and the jingle of toys and trinkets.
The Surajkund Mela is more than a celebration of crafts. At the fan shaped open-air-theatre named Natyashala, rich folk dances and musical evenings are held throughout the fortnight.
Buddhi Keerthisena, chairman of Sri Lanka’s National Crafts Council, will lead the delegation.
Sri Lanka has an abundance of traditional arts and crafts. These goods are manufactured using age-old techniques, tools and natural indigenous materials.
These cover a wide spectrum including brasswork, silverware, coir goods, dumbara mats, lacquer ware, batik textiles and masks.
- Miss Universe visits Surajkund crafts fair - Feb 03, 2011
- Surajkund fair wows Mexican Miss Universe (Lead, With Images) - Feb 03, 2011
- Hamid Ansari inaugurates Surajkund Crafts Mela - Feb 01, 2010
- Surajkund fair, a major draw for art and craft lovers - Feb 09, 2011
- Surajkund fair marks silver jubilee, begins Tuesday - Jan 31, 2011
- Footfalls increase at Surajkund crafts fair - Feb 10, 2011
- Now, Kerala too wants a Surajkund type fair - Feb 09, 2010
- Sri Lanka seeks Haryana's help to organise crafts fair - Feb 08, 2010
- Women artisans forge new links between South Asian nations - Jan 06, 2011
- Surajkund Mela to go international - Jun 07, 2012
- Chandigarh to host its first crafts mela - Oct 16, 2009
- Sri Lankan temple paintings in Delhi - Mar 24, 2012
- Surajkund crafts fair begins on vibrant note - Feb 01, 2010
- Michelle samples India's rich textiles, art - Nov 08, 2010
- President Patil inaugurates 23rd Surajkund fair - Feb 01, 2009