Sri Lanka woos Chinese touristsNovember 28th, 2011 - 1:49 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Nov 28 (IANS) Sri Lanka has opened a page on Chinese social networking site - www.renren.com - to attract more Chinese tourists to the country, an official said Monday.
In an ambitious plan to accelerate tourism in the country after the rout of the Tamil Tigers, the Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau has launched a drive to woo more Chinese tourists.
For the first time ever, Sri Lanka welcomed 750,000 tourists so far this year, achieving its target for 2011 much ahead of Dec 31, reported Xinhua.
“As the booming economy of China has led to a creation of a rich middle class and extensive per capita spending, targeting the Chinese travel market would be an ideal opportunity for Sri Lanka,” said Rumy Jauffer, managing director of the bureau.
He said opening a public page on www.renren.com was a key aspect in promoting a destination via social media and creating awareness.
“We have implemented a number of programmes targeting the broad tourist base in China with the support of Chinese tour agencies,” Jauffer said.
According to the latest data, tourists from China grew by 71 percent to 13,889 in the first 10 months of 2011.
- Chinese firm buys video-sharing site - Sep 27, 2011
- China's social networking site extends sponsorship deal with Villarreal - Apr 11, 2012
- Tourism to Sri Lanka is booming - Jul 20, 2012
- Sri Lanka revises tourism target to 1 million - Apr 23, 2012
- India leads foreign tourists in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- China seeks closer ties with Sri Lanka - Sep 18, 2012
- Facebook IPO boosts growth of Chinese sites - Feb 03, 2012
- 'Focus on social media to get more tourists' - Oct 22, 2011
- China to have tourism law - Aug 27, 2012
- Sri Lanka boosts tourism via street spice food festival - Oct 28, 2011
- Sri Lanka tourist arrivals up 17 percent - Jun 12, 2012
- China launches tourist train to North Korea - Apr 29, 2012
- Qatar to open hotels in Sri Lanka - Dec 14, 2011
- Indonesia expects 1 mn Chinese tourists - Mar 03, 2012
- China is world's third most popular tourist destination - Apr 12, 2011
Tags: 10 months, ambitious plan, booming economy, chinese tourists, chinese travel, economy of china, managing director, middle class, promotion bureau, rout, social networking site, sri lanka tourism, tamil tigers, target, tourism promotion, travel market, xinhua