Sri Lanka urged to halt fighting to help civiliansFebruary 16th, 2009 - 2:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 16 (IANS) Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa has been urged by a grouping of the Tamil diaspora to halt military operations for a while to help civilians trapped in the Tamil Tiger zone to escape.
The Tamil Forum for Peace has asked Rajapaksa to “unilaterally declare an immediate cessation of hostilities for a specified period to enable safe passage to the innocents trapped in the small area under (the) control” of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
“We also call upon the international community to exert pressure on LTTE to release the civilians it is forcibly holding as hostages,” it added.
The appeal follows reports of heavy casualties the Tamil civilian population has suffered in a small area of Sri Lanka’s Mullaitivu district still held by the LTTE.
“The LTTE may be holding them for their own safety and may be ready to sacrifice them for propaganda purposes to turn international opinion against your government,” the statement said.
But it added that “the safety of all civilians trapped in the fighting zone is paramount and necessary and saving their lives is the only morally right thing to do at this juncture”.
The statement added: “Such a move on your part will certainly help to create the belief that even as you are fighting the Tigers, (the war) is not directed at the Tamil community and (you have) the humanitarian concerns and sufferings of the Tamil civilians uppermost in your mind.”
- No ceasefire with Tamil Tigers, says Sri Lanka - Jan 30, 2009
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- 'Appeasing Tamil flood victims best chance for Sri Lanka to improve maligned image' - Jan 15, 2011
- Rajapaksa asks civilians to cross over to government areas - May 01, 2009
- Sri Lanka's holiday truce begins, LTTE kills soldier (Lead) - Apr 13, 2009
- After Kilinochchi, is Rajapaksa awaiting Kalinga? (Comment) - Apr 20, 2009
- Rajapaksa rules out truce with Tamil Tigers - Apr 30, 2009
- International Tamil rebel network still active: Sri Lanka - Jun 21, 2010
- Rajapaksa appeals to world community to exert pressure on LTTE - Apr 18, 2009
- 35 killed as troops break through LTTE defence line: Sri Lanka - May 09, 2009
- Amid Tamil Nadu unrest, Manmohan to meet Rajapaksa - Sep 18, 2012
- Sri Lanka admits civilian deaths during separatist war - Aug 02, 2011
- Rajapaksa urges global community to pressurise LTTE (Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- War with LTTE rapidly nearing its end: Rajapaksa (Lead) - May 07, 2009
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012