Sri Lanka to hike tea output marginallySeptember 1st, 2008 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 1 (IANS) One of the highest tea producers and exporters in the world, Sri Lanka plans to marginally increase its production to 320 million kg this year, an official from the island said Monday.”We plan to increase production marginally this year. It was 310-315 kg last year. We want to make it 320 kg this year,” Sri Lanka Tea Board chairman Lalith Hettiarachchi told reporters here.
Hettiarachchi said his country wanted to control production because if output goes up by 2.5 percent, consumption increases by 1.5 percent only, leading to a surplus in supply, in turn reducing prices.
Sri Lanka, he said, exported 95 percent of its tea output. The tea industry is one of the main foreign exchange earners in Sri Lanka. Last year the country earned $1.2 billion from tea exports.
“In 2007 we exported $1.2 billion worth of tea and in the current year our exports would touch $1.5 billion,” Herttiarachchi said.
The Sri Lanka Tea Board is signing an agreement Monday with the Indian Tea Board for mutual recognition of tea tasting certification of both the countries.
- Sri Lankan tea production drops - Apr 25, 2012
- MFN status will spur Indian tea exports to Pakistan - Oct 25, 2011
- Sri Lanka struggles to reduce $1 bn dollar deficit - Mar 27, 2012
- India to draw 7-year strategic plan for tea industry - Sep 15, 2010
- India strives to revive tea exports to Egypt - Sep 13, 2010
- Sri Lanka plans tea hub, imports from India, China - May 16, 2012
- Separate authority to boost tea production in India - Dec 15, 2011
- Tea exporters turn to Russia following Iran crisis - Feb 08, 2012
- McLeod Russel's 2010-11 net profit up 7 percent - May 30, 2011
- Indian tea prices firming up, exports up, production down - Sep 09, 2010
- Sri Lanka tea growers asked to 'go slow' to manage global crisis (Lead) - Oct 29, 2008
- Gulf turmoil hit Indian tea exports - Nov 13, 2011
- Indian tea makers fear lacklustre exports - Mar 28, 2012
- Pakistan, Sri Lanka to increase trade to over $2 bn - Feb 11, 2012
- Himachal tea firm gets ISO certification - Apr 19, 2011