Sri Lanka set 291-run target for PakistanJanuary 21st, 2009 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Jan 21 (IANS) In their bid to level the three-match ODI series, Sri Lanka posted a healthy 290 for eight against Pakistan, with Tillakaratne Dilshan scoring his first fifty in the second one-day international at the National Stadium here Wednesday.A day after unimpressive batting led Sri Lanka to a crushing eight-wicket defeat in the opening game of the series, the tourists managed to get past the 250-mark for the first time since the Asia Cup final last July in Karachi.
It was Dilshan’s 88-ball 76 that guided Sri Lanka to a competitive total with another vital contribution coming from Thilina Kandamby (59), who struck his maiden fifty.
Dilshan helped Sri Lanka get over Sanath Jayasuriya’s hit-wicket dismissal and Kumar Sangakkara’s suicidal run-out earlier in the innings with an attacking batting display that included 11 fours. Dilshan and Kandamby put on 99 off 109 balls for the third wicket. Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene finally managed to spend some time at the crease, getting 24 off 34 balls.
Chamara Kapugedera registered an entertaining 39-ball 44 that included two superb sixers and two fours.
Umar Gul, who took 3-30 in the first game was once again in fine form collecting 4-58. Shoaib Akhtar was unimpressive yet again, finishing with 1-45 in six overs.
- Sri Lanka recall veteran Jayasuriya for ODIs and Twenty20 in England - Jun 09, 2011
- Jayasuriya, Kandamby carry Sri Lanka to an imposing total - Sep 12, 2009
- India to bat against Sri Lanka - Sep 14, 2009
- Sri Lanka elect to bat against India in Compaq Cup - Sep 12, 2009
- Victorious Indian team given rousing welcome in Chennai - Sep 15, 2009
- India elect to bat in Asia Cup final - Jun 24, 2010
- India restrict Sri Lanka to 236/9 (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Sri Lanka thrash Netherlands in World Cup warm-up match - Feb 12, 2011
- Harbhajan, Tendulkar star in India's Compaq Cup victory - Sep 15, 2009
- India-Sri Lanka tie their ODI tri-series encounter (Roundup) - Feb 14, 2012
- Sri Lanka have a side to win the World Cup (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 06, 2011
- Jayasuriya dropped from Sri Lankan squad - Dec 30, 2009
- Tendulkar cracks ton, Harbhajan spins out Sri Lanka (Lead) - Sep 15, 2009
- Sri Lanka opt to bat against India - Dec 24, 2009
- India opt to bat against Sri Lanka - Feb 03, 2009