Sri Lanka seeks Haryana’s help to organise crafts fairFebruary 8th, 2010 - 12:09 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 7 (IANS) Sri Lanka has sought Haryana’s expertise in organising a Surajkund-type crafts fair in Colombo, an official said Sunday.
Representatives of Sri Lanka Sunday said that their government is planning to organise a crafts fair in Colombo on the lines of Surajkund Crafts Mela.
Nihalsomawaree, secretary in Sri Lanka’s ministry of rural industries, Sunday urged Haryana Chief Secretary Urvashi Gulati to impart the required know-how and also to send craftsmen from Haryana to participate in the proposed Colombo fair.
“We have sought consultancy services from the Haryana government through the (Indian) ministry of external affairs for organising a craft fair in Colombo,” said Nihalsomawaree, who uses only one name.
Nihalsomawaree is heading a delegation of senior Sri Lankan officers and 24 national award winning craftspersons from Sri Lanka to 24th Surajkund Crafts Mela.
The fair is annually organised Feb 1-15 in Surajkund town in Faridabad district, some 20 km from south Delhi.
“The motive of our visit to the Surajkund mela is to study the functioning and set-up of the mela and also to explore the possibilities for organising such art and crafts fair in Colombo. We are amazed to see the diversity of the mela. Our mela will be of similar nature, sometime in July,” Nihalsomawaree said.
The Haryana government and the Surajkund Crafts Mela authority have extended full support to Sri Lankan delegation.
- Now, Kerala too wants a Surajkund type fair - Feb 09, 2010
- Surajkund Mela to go international - Jun 07, 2012
- Miss Universe visits Surajkund crafts fair - Feb 03, 2011
- Surajkund fair marks silver jubilee, begins Tuesday - Jan 31, 2011
- Rajasthan theme state at Surajkund fair this year - Jan 18, 2010
- Sri Lankan delegation to visit Surajkund fair - Feb 14, 2009
- Surajkund fair wows Mexican Miss Universe (Lead, With Images) - Feb 03, 2011
- Hamid Ansari inaugurates Surajkund Crafts Mela - Feb 01, 2010
- India, Sri Lanka to jointly develop fisheries - Jan 15, 2012
- EU wants fair trail for Sri Lanka detainees - May 06, 2012
- Surajkund fair, a major draw for art and craft lovers - Feb 09, 2011
- Footfalls increase at Surajkund crafts fair - Feb 10, 2011
- 15-day Surajkund crafts fair begins near capital - Feb 01, 2011
- 10-day crafts fair kicks off in Chandigarh - Oct 24, 2009
- Chaudhary new Haryana chief secretary - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: art and crafts, chief secretary, craftsmen, delegation, diversity, gulati, haryana government, indian ministry, ministry of external affairs, motive, possibilities, rural industries, south delhi, sri lanka, sri lankan, surajkund mela