Sri Lanka leave for Pakistan to play two-match Test seriesFebruary 14th, 2009 - 9:38 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Feb 14 (IANS) After a disappointing one-day series loss against Indians at home, the Sri Lankan team led by Mahela Jayawardene left for Pakistan Saturday to play the two-match Test series starting Feb 21 in Karachi.
Jayawardene, who will step down as captain after the series, said that his team has a good combination of young and experienced players and hoped that a series win was possible in Pakistan.
“The boys have practised very hard and it is an opportunity for us to perform well and win the series. Winning a Test series outside Sri Lanka is always great,” Jayawardene told reporters at the Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) headquarters before leaving for Pakistan.
The first Test in Pakistan will be played in Karachi Feb 21-25 while the second will be played in Lahore March 1-5.
Jaywardene said that he would be glad if the team performs well and gives him “the Test series win in Pakistan” so that he can step down as a captain on a winning note.
Sri Lanka have named two newcomers in their 15-man squad, batsman Tharanga Paranavitana and fast bowler Suranga Lakmal.
“It is a good opportunity for the newcomers, especially for Suranga Lakmal to learn from the fast Pakistani wickets. We are well focussed on the tour and would do our utmost to the series,” said Jayawardene, who has led the Sri Lankan team in 26 Tests and 97 ODIs during the past three years.
Under his captaincy, Sri Lanka has won 15 Tests, lost seven and drew four with the winning ratio of 62.5 percent. As captain, he averaged 64.70 in Tests with 11 centuries.
Sri Lanka Test squad: Mahela Jayawardene (capt), Malinda Warnapura, Tharanga Paranavitana, Kumar Sangakkara, Thilan Samaraweera, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Prasanna Jayawardene, Chaminda Vaas, Muttiah Muralitharan, Ajantha Mendis, Chamara Kapugedera, Farveez Maharoof, Dilhara Fernando, Thilan Thushara, Suranga Lakmal.
- Matthews fails fitnes test, dropped from Sri Lanka squad - Mar 23, 2012
- Matthews returns to Sri Lanka squad but will not bowl - Mar 31, 2012
- Lanka recalls pacer Kulasekara for second Test against Windies - Nov 21, 2010
- Asia Cup: Sri Lanka put India in to bat - Mar 13, 2012
- Sri Lanka leave out Samaraweera of Pakistan series - Sep 21, 2011
- Sri Lanka eye Test series win in Pakistan - Feb 15, 2009
- Sri Lanka recall veteran Jayasuriya for ODIs and Twenty20 in England - Jun 09, 2011
- Jayasuriya dropped from Sri Lankan squad - Dec 30, 2009
- Sri Lanka elect to field against India - Jan 13, 2010
- Pakistan eye successful return to Test arena - Feb 20, 2009
- India, Sri Lanka to resume ODI rivalry - Jul 20, 2012
- Pakistan to have task force for players' safety - Nov 23, 2011
- Sri Lanka have a side to win the World Cup (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 06, 2011
- Sri Lanka opt to bat against India - Jul 18, 2010
- Sri Lanka elect to bat against India - Jan 10, 2010