Sri Lanka issues tsunami warning after Indonesian quake (Lead)April 11th, 2012 - 5:22 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, April 11 (IANS) Sri Lanka issued a tsunami warning after a massive earthquake jolted Sumatra, officials said here Wednesday.
Several areas in the capital as well as the rest of the country felt tremors but no damage to property or casualties were reported, the police said.
Officials of the Disaster Management Center issued a precautionary tsunami warning asking people in the southern, eastern and Colombo regions of the country to move inland, Xinhua reported.
Indonesia, India and Thailand have also issued tsunami warnings.
Thousands of people walked out of their office buildings and stood outside on the pavements as tremors were felt in Colombo.
“I was on the seventh floor of my office building when we felt it… Everyone rushed out of the building,” said office executive Chaminda Amerasinghe.
Some 40,000 people died in Sri Lanka during the devastating tsunami in 2004.
- Quake rattles Sumatra, India feels tremors (Third Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Tremors in Kolkata: Metro services halted, buildings develop cracks (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Tsunami alert following Indonesia quake - Apr 11, 2012
- Quake jolts Indonesia, panic grips India (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
- Tremors felt in Sri Lanka - Apr 11, 2012
- Major quake rattles Sumatra, tsunami alert in India (Second Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Tremors in Kolkata, Metro services halted - Apr 11, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
- Myanmar/Thailand shaken by a 7.0 magnitude earthquake - Mar 24, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes western Indonesia, no word on casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- Andaman jolted, tremors in states (Second Lead) - Jun 13, 2010
- Powerful earthquakes strike off Vanuatu, generating small tsunamis - Aug 21, 2011
- Houses collapse in Pakistan quake (Lead) - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: casualties, chaminda, devastating tsunami, disaster management center, India, indonesia, indonesian quake, massive earthquake, office buildings, pavements, sri lanka, sumatra, Thailand, tremors, tsunami, tsunami warning, tsunami warnings, xinhua