Sri Lanka condemns attack on Indian mission in KabulJuly 9th, 2008 - 12:03 am ICT by IANS
Colombo, July 8 (IANS) Sri Lanka Tuesday condemned the suicide car bombing attack targeting the Indian embassy in Kabul Monday, which killed at least 40 people. “The government of Sri Lanka strongly condemns the suicide bomb attack outside the Indian embassy in Kabul Monday. This terrorist atrocity aimed against two neighbouring nations with which Sri Lanka enjoys close and friendly ties, claimed the lives of at least 40 people and seriously injured scores of others,” the foreign ministry said in a statement Tuesday.
It recalled that the counsellor of the Indian embassy, Venkateswara Rao, who was among the victims in the suicide blast in Kabul, had served in the Indian High Commission in Colombo some years ago.
“Sri Lanka extends her profound condolences to the governments and peoples of Afghanistan and India, as well as the bereaved families on this tragedy,” the statement said.
Noting that Afghanistan, with the restoration of democracy and legitimate governance has made commendable progress in national development and in strengthening ties with the international community, it said that “the consolidation of relations with the neighbourhood” has facilitated Afghanistan to become a member of the Saarc in 2007.
“The continued progress of Afghanistan towards peace and prosperity remains important for the South Asian region. The Government of Sri Lanka is confident that this terrorist outrage will not deter Afghanistan’s forward march,” the ministry said.
- Blasts rock Kabul, Taliban target US embassy - Sep 13, 2011
- Sri Lanka condemns Mumbai blasts - Jul 14, 2011
- Sri Lanka to shut some embassies in Europe (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Terror attack on Kabul supermarket kills 9 - Jan 29, 2011
- Two Indians killed in Afghan missile attack (Lead) - Oct 11, 2010
- Afghan terror attack ends: 48 dead, 65 injured (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Kabul attack: No Indian casualties, situation being monitored - May 02, 2012
- Sri Lanka to shut some embassies in Europe - Mar 27, 2012
- Haqqani network a terrorist group: US - Sep 08, 2012
- 9 Indians killed in 'barbaric' Kabul bombings (Lead) - Feb 26, 2010
- Blake to head US delegation at SAARC - Nov 08, 2011
- Taliban strike Kabul, other Afghan targets (Second Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- India condemns Lahore terror attack - Jul 02, 2010
- Travel advisory: India assures safety to visiting Sri Lankans (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Will India's vote drive Sri Lanka closer to China? - Mar 23, 2012