Sri Lanka arrests 23 Indian fishermenJune 21st, 2011 - 1:52 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 21 (IANS) Twenty-three fishermen from Tamil Nadu have been arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy for fishing in the island nation’s waters, police said Tuesday.
The fishermen had set out from Rameswaram in five boats Monday and were taken into custody in the night, a police officer told IANS.
The fishermen belonged to Rameswaram and Mandapam, around 600 km from Chennai. The incident came to light when a fisherman escaped with his boat and informed the authorities.
According to Sri Lankan officials, 78 of their fishermen are in Indian prisons. Indian authorities also hold their 16 boats.
- 23 Indian fishermen to be released by Sri Lanka - Jun 24, 2011
- Jayalalithaa seeks PM's help to free fishermen (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Take up fishermen harassment issue with Sri Lankan government: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Secure fishermen's release from Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa urges PM - Jul 05, 2012
- 23 Indian fishermen released by Sri Lanka: Krishna - Jul 27, 2012
- Prime Minister asked to take up fishermen arrest issue with Sri Lanka - Jul 23, 2012
- Sri Lanka Navy harassing Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- India should assert with Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa - Nov 16, 2011
- Secure release of Indian fishermen in Sri Lanka, PM urged - Jun 08, 2011
- India asks Sri Lanka to free fishermen - Jul 26, 2012
- Take strong stand against Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa urges PM - Nov 07, 2011
- Indian fisherman killed by Sri Lankan Navy - Jul 08, 2010
- Indian fishermen to be freed soon: Sri Lanka - Jun 23, 2011
- Jayalalithaa writes to PM over attacks on fishermen - Oct 11, 2011
- Move to stop attacks on fishermen: Jayalalithaa, Karunanidhi - Aug 20, 2012