Spying case: Ex-diplomat Madhuri Gupta granted bail (Lead)January 10th, 2012 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 10 (IANS) Madhuri Gupta, a former Indian diplomat and alleged agent of Pakistan’s Inter Services Intelligence (ISI), was granted bail by a Delhi court Tuesday in a conspiracy and spying case.
Gupta, 53, a second secretary at the Indian High Commission in Islamabad, was arrested April 27, 2010, on charges of passing on information to the Pakistani intelligence agency.
Additional Sessions Judge Pawan Kumar Jain granted her bail on a personal bond of Rs.25,000 and surety of same amount.
On Jan 7, the court charged Gupta with spying under sections 3 and 5 of the Official Secrets Act and also section 120 B of the Indian Penal Code for criminal conspiracy. The trial would begin March 22.
The court allowed her bail after accepting the plea that being a woman she deserved leniency.
Gupta in her plea said that she had already spent 21 months in jail while the maximum imprisonment for charges against her was three years.
The court directed her not to leave Delhi without its permission and not to try and influence witnesses.
- Ex-diplomat Madhuri Gupta's trial for spying from March 22 - Jan 07, 2012
- Spying case: Court notice to diplomat Madhuri Gupta (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Spying case: Diplomat allowed to visit heritage sites - Apr 26, 2012
- CWG scam: After Kalmadi gets bail, Bhanot moves plea - Jan 19, 2012
- Spying case: Court notice to diplomat Madhuri Gupta - May 08, 2012
- Kalmadi gets bail after nine months in jail (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- High Court dismisses Amar Singh's plea - Jan 13, 2012
- Wildlife smuggler Sansar Chand gets bail - May 31, 2012
- Kalmadi to walk out of jail after nine months (Evening Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Court rejects Madhuri Gupta's bail plea (Lead) - May 21, 2010
- RCB player Luke Pomersbach gets bail - May 19, 2012
- CWG scam: Three more granted bail (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- After Kalmadi, his aides Bhanot, Jayachandran get bail (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Kalmadi gets bail, walks out of jail after nine months (Intro Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- Tees Hazari Court dismisses Madhuri Gupta's bail plea - May 21, 2010
Tags: 21 months, being a woman, criminal conspiracy, delhi court, gupta, imprisonment, indian diplomat, indian high commission, indian penal code, intelligence agency, inter services, isi, jain, jan 7, leniency, official secrets, pawan kumar, personal bond, secrets act, surety