Spying case: Court notice to diplomat Madhuri Gupta (Lead)May 8th, 2012 - 7:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 8 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Tuesday issued notice to Madhuri Gupta, a suspended Indian diplomat and alleged spy of Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), on a Delhi Police plea seeking her trial under offences that carry a maximum punishment of 14 years and not just three years.
Gupta, 53, a second secretary at the Indian High Commission in Islamabad, was arrested April 27, 2010 for alleged spying and on charges of passing on information to the Pakistani intelligence agency.
Justice Pratibha Rani issued notice to Gupta and sought her reply by Sep 24.
On Jan 7, the trial court charged Gupta under provisions for spying in the Official Secrets Act that carried a maximum sentence of three years, police said.
“There is sufficient evidence on record to make out a case against the accused for offences under Section 3(1)(Part-II) and Section 5 of the Official Secrets Act and Section 120-B of the IPC (Indian Penal Code),” the trial court judge had said.
Police, seeking modification of charges against Gupta, said the information which she passed to the ISI through emails was related to the security of the nation and defence, and under the Official Secrets Act’s section 3(1)(Part-I) there was a provision of punishment up to 14 years.
Gupta allegedly revealed certain classified information to Pakistani officials and was in touch with two ISI officials, Mubshar Raza Rana and Jamshed.
As per the charge sheet filed in July 2010, Gupta was involved in a relationship with Jamshed whom she planned to marry.
She was granted bail Jan 10.
- Spying case: Court notice to diplomat Madhuri Gupta - May 08, 2012
- Ex-diplomat Madhuri Gupta's trial for spying from March 22 - Jan 07, 2012
- Spying case: Ex-diplomat Madhuri Gupta granted bail (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Delhi court sends Gupta to 14-day judicial custody - May 01, 2010
- Spying case: Diplomat allowed to visit heritage sites - Apr 26, 2012
- Ex-diplomat Madhuri Gupta charged for spying - Jul 20, 2010
- Sanjay Dutt gets relief in Uttar Pradesh case - May 04, 2012
- Maoist Kobad Ghandy to stand trial for cheating (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Spy case: Chargesheet filed against Madhuri Gupta (Lead) - Jul 20, 2010
- Rajasthan clerk held for spying for Pakistan - Dec 20, 2011
- Terror charge plea against Ghandy to come up April 9 - Mar 31, 2012
- 26/11: NIA files charges against Headley, eight others (Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Madhuri Gupta says she is being framed (Second Lead) - May 01, 2010
- Police get more time to probe why Kanda ignored warrant - Aug 31, 2012
- Charge sheet filed in Delhi against four terrorists - Sep 10, 2012
Tags: alleged spy, classified information, delhi high court, delhi police, gupta, indian diplomat, indian high commission, indian penal code, intelligence agency, inter services, isi, jan 7, maximum punishment, maximum sentence, official secrets, pakistani officials, rana, secrets act, section 3, trial court judge