Spurned lover who beheaded girl spared the gallowsSeptember 11th, 2012 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Sep 11 (IANS) A spurned lover and engineering student, who beheaded a girl in St. Xavier’s College here last year, Tuesday got relief from the Jharkhand High Court which converted his death sentence into a life term, a lawyer said.
“The death sentence was converted into life term. The high court refused to accept that it was a rarest of rare case,” said Rajesh Kumar, lawyer of convict Bijendra Kumar.
The convict, a resident of Jamshedpur, over 100 km from here, was awarded death sentence May 2 this year by a Ranchi court for killing Khushboo, who had spurned his advances.
Bijendra beheaded Khushboo in the college April 27, 2011.
Khushboo was born and brought up at her maternal grandmother’s house in Jamshedpur. She shifted to her parent’s house in Ranchi as she was fed up with the alleged advances made by Bijendra in Jamshedpur.
The rejection by the girl made Bijendra angry and he beheaded her while she was leaving after appearing for the intermediate examination in the college.
Her family members expressed unhappiness over the judgment and said that they planned to move the Supreme Court against Tuesday’s order.
- Jharkhand youth sentenced to death for beheading girl (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Youth sentenced to death for beheading girl - May 02, 2012
- Man convicted for beheading Ranchi woman - Apr 26, 2012
- Fear grips Ranchi college after girl student's murder - Apr 28, 2011
- Girl beheaded in Ranchi college - Apr 27, 2011
- Three sentenced to life for killing shoe baron - Sep 21, 2011
- Three convicted for killing shoe baron - Sep 17, 2011
- Jharkhand's youngest eye donor - Jun 29, 2010
- Kasab to appeal against death sentence in Supreme Court - Feb 23, 2011
- Kasab to hang: Bombay High Court (Lead) - Feb 21, 2011
Tags: convict, death sentence, engineering student, family members, gallows, intermediate examination, jamshedpur, jharkhand high court, judgment, khushboo, lawyer, maternal grandmother, rare case, rejection, s college, sep 11, st xavier, supreme court, unhappiness