Spurious liquor kills nine in AssamApril 20th, 2009 - 10:56 am ICT by IANS
Dibrugarh (Assam), April 20 (IANS) At least nine tea plantation workers were killed and two fell ill after consuming spurious rice beer in Assam, police said Monday.
The incident took place late Sunday near Tingkhong in eastern Assam, about 490 km from the state’s main city of Guwahati.
“A group of about 11 tea garden workers met at the residence of a colleague and had haas-paani (fermented rice beer). Soon after, all of them started vomiting and passed out one after another before anybody could react,” said police spokesperson Kamal Bora.
Two of the tea garden workers were later shifted to hospital and stated to be critical. Among the dead was a woman.
Witnesses said all the victims were from the Lakribam tea estate near Tingkhong.
Authorities have ordered a magisterial probe into the incident.
Earlier this month, 17 people were killed in the eastern Lakhimpur district after drinking spurious rice beer.
There are an estimated one million workers in Assam’s 800-odd tea gardens.
- Over 100 students taken ill of food-poisoning - Sep 27, 2010
- For small farmers, it's tea time in Assam! - Jan 14, 2011
- Tea production declining in organised sector in India - Aug 07, 2012
- Tea Board to shift northeast zonal Office to Jorhat - Jun 27, 2012
- Elephant depredations may force shutdown of Assam tea plantations - Nov 25, 2009
- Battle for the minority, tea garden vote begins in Assam - Oct 12, 2010
- Assam's tea industry hit by ULFA's extortion drive - Aug 09, 2010
- Moonshine and blankets to win polls in Assam - Apr 19, 2009
- One killed as Assam tea planter opens fire at irate mob - Mar 22, 2010
- Delayed rainfall likely to affect Assam tea production - Mar 16, 2012
- Cholera in Assam tea gardens: 16 killed, 150 affected - Oct 27, 2010
- Small tea growers usher in winds of change in Assam (With Image) - Sep 04, 2010
- Sup with tribals, explore wilderness - northeast beckons (With Images) - May 17, 2011
- Tea production halts in five Assam districts - Jun 01, 2012
- Former tea garden owners are Tripura's new entrepreneurs - Jul 11, 2010