Spurious liquor claims 20 lives in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu(Second Lead)May 19th, 2008 - 8:52 am ICT by admin
Bangalore/Hosur (Tamil Nadu), May 18 (IANS) Twenty people died Sunday and 11 others were in a serious condition after drinking spurious liquor in two separate incidents in Karnataka and neighbouring Tamil Nadu. Twelve people died and eight were seriously ill after drinking liquor in Kolar district of Karnataka, about 68 km from here, the police said.
Five people lost their lives in Narasapura village and five in Teykal village, Kolar police told reporters.
Five people have been arrested for the incident, the police said.
In the other incident, eight people including three women died after drinking spurious liquor during a funeral ritual Sunday in a Tamil Nadu village bordering Karnataka, a government official said.
Narasapura residents blocked roads in the area, alleging failure on the part of authorities to check manufacture and supply of spurious liquor. Kolar police superintendent Seemant Kumar Singh visited the spot and pacified the protesters by promising them action to curb sale of spurious liquor.
Dalit residents of a Tamil Nadu’s Anaikaal village, located across the border in Karnataka, consumed liquor in the early hours Sunday during the 13th-day rituals of a funeral.
Three died after consuming what is suspected to be poisonous rectified spirit. Soon five others succumbed to the intoxicant, said S. Nagarajan, the revenue officer in charge of Krishnagiri district.
An investigation headed by superintendent of police P.C. Thenmozhi has been ordered, the official added.
The remaining spurious liquor was seized and sent for examination. The condition of three people, including a woman, was serious, the official said.
- Spurious liquor claims 16 lives (Lead) - May 18, 2008
- 25 dead in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu after consuming spurious liquor (Third Lead) - May 19, 2008
- Death toll from spurious liquor rises to 34 - May 19, 2008
- Spurious liquor toll crosses 40 in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu (Lead) - May 19, 2008
- Eight die after drinking spurious liquor - May 18, 2008
- Karnataka, Tamil Nadu spurious liquor toll climbs to 55 (Second Lead) - May 19, 2008
- Major hooch tragedies in India - Dec 15, 2011
- Spurious liquor kills six in Andhra - Dec 31, 2011
- Punjab hooch deaths rise to 18 - Oct 29, 2010
- West Bengal: Killer liquor dens exist near police camp - Dec 16, 2011
- Spurious liquor claims five lives in Bihar - Sep 22, 2010
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 143 - Dec 15, 2011
- Spurious liquor kills four in Bihar - Apr 20, 2012
- Moonshine kills four - Oct 01, 2010
- Spurious liquor kills three in Bihar - Jul 11, 2011