Spurious ghee manufacturing unit raided in AgraJune 14th, 2009 - 3:12 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, June 14 (IANS) A spurious ghee, or clarified butter, manufacturing unit was raided and hundreds of tins of the adulterated product seized in this Uttar Pradesh city, police said Sunday.
A police team along with health officers of the Agra Municipal Corporation raided the factory in Jharna nullah locality amid a dense babool forest and found ghee being manufactured from animal fat boiled in huge iron pans.
“At least 25 big drums, 150 tins and four furnaces, in addition to knives and country pistols were recovered from the site raided Saturday evening,” a police official said.
“Animal hides hanging by the trees and bones littered around gave fair indication of the scale of manufacturing being carried out clandestinely for several years,” the official said.
Police said at least 50 people must have been working there in the sheds but none could be caught, probably because the information about the raid was leaked to them.
Municipal corporation’s animal husbandry department chief B.S. Verma said that residents of Nagla Bal locality had complained about the spurious manufacturing unit to the principal secretary to the chief minister Net Ram. Since then the department had been searching for the unit.
In the past month, the police has successfully raided many units making fake products like synthetic milk, sauce and ketchup, a shop selling fake branded ceiling fans, a unit producing spurious ice creams and soft drinks, giving Agra the reputation as a fake products capital.
- 3,000 kg of rotten pickle found in Agra - Jun 23, 2010
- Fake sauce factory busted in Maharashtra - Nov 18, 2011
- Adulterated ghee factory busted in Orissa, four held - Jan 05, 2010
- 3,500 Kg fake 'ghee' seized in Jaipur - Jul 30, 2010
- Five arrested, spurious ghee unit busted in Mumbai - Jul 21, 2010
- Fake ghee factory busted in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 07, 2009
- Sea horses recovered from Agra warehouse - Apr 05, 2012
- Spurious milk powder racket unearthed in Jharkhand - Jan 01, 2011
- Spurious drugs racket busted in Haryana - Jul 15, 2011
- Fake milk unit busted in Lucknow police raid - Jul 18, 2010
- Over 20 quintals adulterated sweets seized in Punjab - Nov 02, 2010
- Spurious medicines racket busted, three arrested (Lead) - Jul 16, 2011
- Two arrested for selling fake medicines - Aug 26, 2011
- 1,400 kg of spurious milk products seized - Jul 09, 2009
- CBI checks reveal spurious medicines in hospitals - May 20, 2010