Spring with ‘healing’ effect reappears in JammuOctober 17th, 2008 - 4:08 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Oct 17 (IANS) A hot water spring in Jammu and Kashmir said to have healing powers for many ailments, has re-emerged after disappearing due to an earthquake in 2005. An official of the tourism department said: “It is a miraculous development that the water in famous Tatapani spring located in Rajouri district has re-surfaced with its pristine curious healing effects”.
The water in the spring is said to have powers to heal muscles, bone and joint ailments.
According to tourism official Jyoti Koul: “Many people are happy over re-emergence of this spring as it had magical healing powers”.
Now with the return of water in the spring, she said that the tourist department has geared up for construction of accommodation in anticipation of tourist inflow.
G.M. Bhat, professor at the Jammu University, said the ground water travels along the underground faults and comes out in the form of a spring.
“The earthquake at times causes displacements that interrupts the water route and the the spring dries up. As this interruption settles, the water re-surfaces,” he said.
The presence of sulphur or sulphur contents under ground, when comes in contact with the water causes an exothermic reaction that generates hot water springs.
“Sulphur in water has the healing capacity,” he said.
- Tourists in Kashmir complain of poor infrastructure facilities - Feb 26, 2011
- 6 killed, 40 injured in Kashmir road accident - Dec 01, 2010
- IAF rescues 11 injured in Kashmir accident - Dec 01, 2010
- 6 killed, 34 injured in Kashmir road mishap (Lead) - Dec 01, 2010
- 8 killed as bus falls into gorge in Jammu - Aug 21, 2012
- Hindu-Muslim amity at Kashmir shrine - Jun 09, 2011
- Sri Lanka keen on tourism ties with Goa - May 30, 2011
- China launches tourist train to North Korea - Apr 29, 2012
- Russia and Iceland sign geothermal energy deal - Oct 24, 2011
- Eritrea backs India for UN Security Council seat - Jun 08, 2011
- 35 injured in bus accident in Rajouri - Jul 25, 2012
- Omar for financially self-reliant Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 24, 2012
- Madhya Pradesh bags best tourism award - Feb 29, 2012
- India holds road shows in Saudi Arabia to attract tourists - Jan 13, 2012
- Turkey woos Indians with mouthwatering kebaps, shorba - Apr 20, 2012