SPO shot dead by Maoists in OdishaJuly 29th, 2012 - 9:39 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 29 (IANS) A special police officer (SPO) was killed and another injured Sunday after Maoists opened fire at them at a rural market in Odisha’s Malkangiri district, police said.
Ajit Sodi died at the spot and Laxman Madakami sustained bullet injuries when about three rebels opened fire at them at the weekly haat in Padia, about 50 km from the district headquarters town of Malkangiri, Superintendent of Police Akhileshwar Singh told IANS.
More than half of Odisha is Maoist-affected, and Malkangiri, about 620 km from here, is considered their strong-hold.
The latest killing came as a shock for police which claimed to had beefed up security in the region as the guerillas are observing ‘martyrs’ week’ since Saturday in memory of rebel leaders killed by security forces.
Charu Majumdar, one of founders of India’s Maoist movement, had died in police custody July 28, 1972. The left-wing rebels have been observing ‘Martyr’s Week’ since then.
- Maoists observe 'martyrs week' in Odisha - Jul 28, 2012
- Suspected Maoists kill villager in Odisha - Aug 21, 2012
- Maoists damage cell phone towers in Orissa - Jul 28, 2009
- Bus services hit in Orissa for Maoist 'Martyrs Week' - Jul 28, 2010
- Security up in Orissa ahead of Maoist martyrs week - Jul 27, 2010
- Maoists blow up panchayat office in Orissa - Sep 09, 2010
- Maoists blast Orissa government building - Sep 07, 2010
- Chhattisgarh tense as Maoist 'Martyrs Week' begins - Jul 28, 2010
- Maoists kill home guard in Odisha ahead of I-Day - Aug 14, 2012
- Maoists kill Odisha villager - Jul 07, 2012
- Maoists blow up BSF vehicle in Odisha, four killed - Feb 10, 2012
- Maoists kill man during strike in Orissa (Lead) - Nov 15, 2010
- Maoists kill contractor in Odisha - Dec 04, 2011
- Maoist held for Orissa leader's murder - Sep 27, 2009
- Maoists gun down police officer in Chhattisgarh market - May 19, 2011
Tags: ajit, bhubaneswar, district headquarters, district police, guerillas, haat, left wing, majumdar, maoist, maoist movement, maoists, martyr, martyrs, police custody, rebel leaders, rebels, security forces, sodi, special police officer, strong hold