Spiritual guru Nanasaheb Dharmadhikari is deadJuly 8th, 2008 - 11:15 pm ICT by IANS
Pune/Mumbai, July 8 (IANS) Social worker and spiritual guru Narayan Vishnu alias Nanasaheb Dharmadhikari died at a private nursing home in Pune Tuesday. He was 86 and kept indifferent health for the last some months. With his relatives or followers inaccessible to the media for details, sources in the Deenanath Hospital in Pune said Nanasaheb’s body was taken to his home town Revdanda in Raigad district soon after his death at 5.45 p.m.
Born March 1, 1922, Dharmadhikari, who had devoted his life to preaching to his followers the tenets of virtuous life free from avarice, addiction and superstition, was decorated with the state government’s highest award “Maharashtra Bhushan” earlier this year along with celebrated poet Mangesh Padgaonkar.
Using Maharashtra’s 17th century saint Ramdas Swami’s precept book ‘Das-bodh’ as a medium for his discourses, Dharmadhikari would tell millions of his followers that doing one’s duty honestly was the best way to worship god and serve humanity.
Dharmadhikari is survived by his sons Dattatray and Shrikrishna, according to a family member.
He was known for social service in Raigad district, on the Konkan coast of Maharashtra, for over 60 years.
Through his social organization, Shri Samarth Adhyatmik Stree Seva Samiti, Dharmadhikari stressed the need for education and equality and sought to bring women into the social mainstream in the Konkan and the rest of the state.
Expressing grief at his demise, Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh said that he worked with dedication for the cause of women, health, education and society without ever craving for publicity.
“He touched the lives of millions across the state. We have lost a great son of the state,” Deshmukh said in a message.
- Kakodkar chosen for Maharashtra Bhushan Award - Apr 26, 2012
- Scientist Narlikar named for Maharashtra state award - Mar 07, 2011
- 27 killed in Maharashtra accident (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- Three minor quakes in Maharashtra, Gujarat (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Pratibha Patil's new Pune retirement home not yet ready - Jul 22, 2012
- 27 killed, 29 injured in Maharashtra accident (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
- Three engineering students drown in Arabian Sea - Jun 10, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi begins three-day Maharashtra visit - Jan 27, 2011
- 27 killed in Maharashtra accident (Third lead) - May 28, 2012
- Maharashtra observes peaceful I-Day celebrations - Aug 15, 2010
- 44 NCC cadets on 600-km ocean sailing expedition (With Images) - Jan 25, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi begins 3-day Maharashtra visit Thursday - Jan 24, 2011
- Hazare to start Maharashtra tour for Lokayukta bill - Apr 30, 2012
- Thousands bid final farewell to Pune legislator - Jun 11, 2011
- Maharashtra to share 50 percent cost of two railway projects - Mar 08, 2012
Tags: 17th century, alias, avarice, bhushan, celebrated poet, chief minister, discourses, education and society, health education, konkan coast, precept, pune, social mainstream, social organization, social worker, spiritual guru, stree, swami, vilasrao deshmukh, virtuous life