Spiritual guru Jai Gurudev dies at 116May 19th, 2012 - 12:51 pm ICT by IANS
Mathura, May 19 (IANS) Spiritual guru Baba Jai Gurudev, who had millions of followers, passed away at his ashram here after prolonged illness, an ashram spokesperson said. He was believed to be 116 year old.
In his last moments, he was brought to Mathura from the Medanta hospital in Gurgaon where he battled for life for about a fortnight.
As news of his demise spread, thousands of devotees made a beeline to the ashram on the Agra-Delhi highway to pay their last respects.
Considered a cult figure for his social service, Jai Gurudev had followers mainly in villages and small towns. He preached simple living, and his devotees wore clothes made of jute and cotton.
He built an imposing white marble temple, resembling the Taj Mahal, on the Delhi-Agra highway.
- Baba Jai Gurudev, 116, passes away (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- Baba Jai Gurudev, 116, passes away (Second Lead) - May 19, 2012
- Baba Jai Gurudev to be cremated - May 21, 2012
- Delhi-Agra highway choked with devotees - Dec 17, 2010
- Four Tripura tourists killed in Mathura road accident - Dec 27, 2010
- As Yamuna overflows, Vrindavan celebrates Pulin Utsav - Sep 25, 2010
- Six die in car crash near Mathura - Apr 09, 2012
- Sai Baba devotees celebrate Avataar declaration day - Oct 20, 2011
- Sai Baba's life inspired people: Sonia Gandhi - Apr 24, 2011
- Akhilesh promises a new Agra - Jun 19, 2012
- Agra, Mathura badly hit as Yamuna water rises - Sep 25, 2010
- Sai Baba's ashram resumes celebrating festivals - May 17, 2011
- Taj sparkles in rain, Agra totters (Letter from Agra) - Aug 29, 2012
- Radhasoami members flock to Agra - Jan 25, 2012
- Mathura tense, two dead - Jun 02, 2012