Spiritual group plants 35 lakh treesMay 18th, 2012 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Haridwar, May 18 (IANS) A spiritual group based here has launched a massive green drive in the country and has already planted 35 lakh trees and saplings, a spokesperson said Friday.
The Gayatri Parivar has also created groups of “green friends” and specifically tasked them with the responsibility of looking after the new plantations.
The drive that began in November 2011 has covered Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Uttarakhand, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir, the spokesperson told IANS.
One area in Gujarat now chosen for this campaign is Sooi, a village in Kutch region and very close to the Pakistan border.
“We realised that there was an urgent need for everyone to halt the destruction to green life caused by so-called development,” he said.
“We also realised that it was not just enough to plant trees and saplings. So we created groups of men and women who will look after them with dedication.”
The Gayatri Parivar, founded by the late Pandit Shri Ram Sharma Acharya, is based in this Hindu holy town and promotes the spread of the highly revered Gayatri Mantra.
As part of the campaign, the spokesperson said, 18 hillocks in and around Burhanpur as well as similar terrain in Ranchi in Jharkhand and in Balsad in Gujarat have been chosen to turn them green.
In Kolkata, trees are being planted every Sunday.
“Our nationwide target is one crore trees. We will meet the target, no matter how much time it takes,” the spokesperson said.
Among the varieties chosen for plantation are tulsi, neem and banyan trees.
- 1,124 couples plant trees in MP - Jul 19, 2012
- In Delhi, government spends Rs.950 on every plant! - Sep 02, 2012
- Delhi Metro to plant 10,000 saplings - Jul 22, 2011
- AMUL plants 10 million trees in Gujarat under Amul Green Campaign on Independence Day - Aug 16, 2010
- Agra city going green - the voluntary way - Aug 09, 2010
- This green cover is upsetting residents! (Letter from Punjab) - Jul 03, 2012
- After politicians, officials to plant trees in Bihar - Sep 12, 2011
- Dikshit launches plantation drive - Aug 06, 2012
- Bihar's ruling party on a green mission - Aug 29, 2011
- Himachal promoting herb culture: Dhumal - Feb 04, 2012
- Bihar set to turn green, politicians to plant trees - Aug 11, 2011
- India helping Ethiopia realise full potential of neem - Jan 05, 2012
- Punjab to plant over one crore saplings this monsoon - Jun 27, 2011
- WWF's Adopt a Tree Campaign to start July 4 - Jul 02, 2011
- Nitish Kumar gives month's salary for green Bihar drive - Sep 03, 2011
Tags: acharya, andhra pradesh, banyan trees, gayatri parivar, group plants, gujarat, hillocks, jammu, jharkhand, lakh, maharashtra, pakistan border, pandit, plant trees, rajasthan, ranchi, spiritual group, target, uttarakhand, west bengal